• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

Faster Then My Crawlers

AnimalHippie

RCC Addict
Two weeks ago my amazing wife surprised me with a brand new Arrma Senton 3s BLX for a early father's day/birthday gift.
aeb7acfca1ffa148f15d01807c0f7890.jpg

As some of you may know I've been wanting a go fast rig for some time now. It just wasn't in the budget. I had went back and forth between the slash and the Senton, but after watching guys on YouTube beat the crap out of the Senton and it taking it with little to no issues. That's what I wanted. Durability has always been a selling point for me.

It was sitting on my bench calling my name while I was waiting for the batteries to show up. So I had to do something to it. I went through and put locktite on some screws that I had been given the heads up about coming loose. Gave my power module a beard
c13d8f67232f77b618f0da953368ceda.jpg

To help keep sand out of the spur/pinion. Also in typical low budget AnimalHippie fashion I made my own dust cover for the chassis. Used a durag, Velcro , styrene sheet and some bungee cord.
ee718d82f75f99a11b6377929601236f.jpg

b80936148538de54383b620fe64df2e6.jpg

It came out pretty good and keeps most of the dirt out.
42f6c541a175aab5fe09e9cfc500d585.jpg

Some gets in, but nothing like what the neighbor's granite looks like after the same amount of run time. His is full of debris after a pack.

I have ran about 6- 5200mah 3s packs through it now. This thing is a blast!!! This pic was from my first run. It was very wet outside that evening.
1fff5608a047aef84eb516ae21c9738f.jpg

I don't do allot of open space running with it. Mostly down woods trails and small jumps. I'm thinking about going down from a 20t pinion to a 15t. Hoping that will give me a little more control and keep the electronics cooler. Here's a few blurry pics from me blasting around on the woods trail by the house.
5606f969ad8480a6b7ada88f38315ab8.jpg

06fe0ecfe769a343d9cdae67f71d32fa.jpg

I need to figure out the best way to shoot pics and video of rigs much faster then my crawlers. That's it for now. Thank you for checking out my new ride!!! Have a great day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fun, lots fun actually. Happy with how it handles?

Looks fun, lots fun actually. Happy with how it handles?

Bro, it's so much fun!!! I love it!!! The wife loves running it too!! At 50% on the transmitter it's very controllable. At 75% & 100% it's pretty crazy. I'm sure once I run it more. It'll get better tho. I'm not really into it to go super fast. It tumbles way to far at high speeds LoL!!! This is the first fast RC I've ever owned. Allot different then the crawlers for sure.

Definitely fun little trucks, I have a Big Rock but all the Arrma 3S vehicles are like 90% the same. If you have a buddy with a Ryft, Lasernut, or LMT, the stock Spektrum servos from those trucks have 2X the torque of the stock Arrma servo and drop right in. Since most people pull the stock servos from those trucks, you can usually get them super cheap or even free and they are a huge upgrade. Another cheap upgrade is the ESC can be mounted on the chassis between the radio box and the motor (there is even mounting posts for the stock ESC mounting screws) for a lower center of gravity.

As for motor cooling, I replaced the stock motor fan with a Protek 30x30 high speed fan that moves way more air. A pretty cheap cooling upgrade with the only downside being the fan is much louder.

Between my Big Rock and my buddy’s 3 other Arrma 3S trucks, the only damage taken by the whole crew is a few shock rod ends (the worst design on the truck since the shock ends are permanently installed on the shafts), a couple stock suspension arms, and a bent turnbuckle. It has been kind of amazing how well they take the beatings for the price of the trucks.

Depending on how smooth the bottom of the chassis is you may could layer it with some vinyl to keep it slicker underneath.

Definitely fun little trucks, I have a Big Rock but all the Arrma 3S vehicles are like 90% the same. If you have a buddy with a Ryft, Lasernut, or LMT, the stock Spektrum servos from those trucks have 2X the torque of the stock Arrma servo and drop right in. Since most people pull the stock servos from those trucks, you can usually get them super cheap or even free and they are a huge upgrade. Another cheap upgrade is the ESC can be mounted on the chassis between the radio box and the motor (there is even mounting posts for the stock ESC mounting screws) for a lower center of gravity.

As for motor cooling, I replaced the stock motor fan with a Protek 30x30 high speed fan that moves way more air. A pretty cheap cooling upgrade with the only downside being the fan is much louder.

Between my Big Rock and my buddy’s 3 other Arrma 3S trucks, the only damage taken by the whole crew is a few shock rod ends (the worst design on the truck since the shock ends are permanently installed on the shafts), a couple stock suspension arms, and a bent turnbuckle. It has been kind of amazing how well they take the beatings for the price of the trucks.

I was thinking about just getting a power hd wp25kg and a servo saver and call it good. Unless I stumble across someone that wants to hook a brotha up with a take out servo. That's what I'm going to do.

I will definitely be moving the ESC. Didn't realize the mount holes till you said that. Those fans are only $17 I'll be grabbing one of those. Running in this FL heat I need all the help I can get. Not too worried about the sound. Don't think you'd hear it much over the motor when you're running it.

They are most definitely tough rigs. The neighbor's son (3yrs old) has a granite voltage that he drives the crap out of. I've straightened the shocks for him more times then I can count. Other then that it's holding together great.

Thanks for the tips & tricks!!! I can use all the help I can get! LMAO!

Depending on how smooth the bottom of the chassis is you may could layer it with some vinyl to keep it slicker underneath.

Never thought of that. I'm sure it would help create less drag when running through the grass and stuff. I'll have to look at the bottom when I get home. I know it has a couple good scrapes from some harder hits then I care for tho. Thanks for the tip brother!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a chance to play around with this rig for a bit this weekend. This thing is so much fun!!!! I took it to the farm with me on Saturday and tested out it's wings.
9a6c3e3d4be534d5ecc58ef1f090a014.jpg

Set up the camera and pulled the trigger. I had a blast!!! Ran 3 packs through it. Found that it's much too hot here in FL to run with the dust cover on. Hit the temp shut off on the first two packs before hitting LVC. So I zip tied it back and gave it another go. The chassis didn't catch as much debris as I expected and it ran till LVC.
de31325a4b08b9a9b31776b49b7b6367.jpg

Durability tested!!! Only Carnage is a few dings and cracks in the body. I will definitely be doing the shoe goo/mesh mod on it sooner then later.
0cd34108919685993aaa92ef75b191f4.jpg

1a559d6448ba0dd8b7b6f3ec59e96631.jpg

The video turned out pretty good. I think I need to invest in a second camera. You guys check it out and let me know what you think. My favorite jump at the 2:16 mark.

https://youtu.be/rqRMANLBxrk

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rqRMANLBxrk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

By the second pack I was really getting the hang of running this thing. All in all it was a great time! Can't wait to get out and do it again!!! Thanks for checking out my thread!!! Have a great day!!!

Last edited:
Back