• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

ESC dislikes one brand of lipo…

CoupeUK

Rock Stacker
What would cause an ESC to not ‘like’ one brand of battery?

One of my RC’s uses 2x 2s lipos. If I use a pair of fully charged and matched 3200mah 20c it’s fine. If I use a pair of 3200man 100c it’s fine.

But if I try a pair of 4000mah 45c, it triggers the LVC. I have another pair of these exact same lipos, and again it does the same.
If I switch to nimh mode on these ones it functions fine, although not a long term solution.

I’m really baffled as to why this happens, it’s not a massive issue however it’s really confusing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ESC?

Some of Castle's new ESCs have had issues triggering LVC when it absolutely shouldn't. The Copperhead (which I've had experience with) and the Micro X2 which I've heard has a similar issue.

The Copperhead would cut out for a short while but it will come back on and run fine for the rest of the pack.

What ESC?

Some of Castle's new ESCs have had issues triggering LVC when it absolutely shouldn't. The Copperhead (which I've had experience with) and the Micro X2 which I've heard has a similar issue.

The Copperhead would cut out for a short while but it will come back on and run fine for the rest of the pack.

I assume LVC can be disabled all together to prevent this?

What ESC?

It’s an EVX2 in a Traxxas Summit.

Have you looked at cell voltages under load of the packs it does not like? You might have a failing cell, under load it drops the entire pack causing LVC to kick in.

I assume LVC can be disabled all together to prevent this?

Not a good idea.

What would cause an ESC to not ‘like’ one brand of battery?

One of my RC’s uses 2x 2s lipos. If I use a pair of fully charged and matched 3200mah 20c it’s fine. If I use a pair of 3200man 100c it’s fine.

But if I try a pair of 4000mah 45c, it triggers the LVC. I have another pair of these exact same lipos, and again it does the same.
If I switch to nimh mode on these ones it functions fine, although not a long term solution.

I’m really baffled as to why this happens, it’s not a massive issue however it’s really confusing!

Your not specifying brands. I mention this because cheap packs off ebay and such are often times over rated on specs, so the packs your trying to use aren't able to handle the load your trying to pull and voltage is dropping.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Have you looked at cell voltages under load of the packs it does not like? You might have a failing cell, under load it drops the entire pack causing LVC to kick in.

Not a good idea.

I have never hit LVC in my crawlers, not even close. I think most people have a really good idea how how long/far they can go before swapping packs. If someone relies on LVC then they need to pay more attention ;-)

Your not specifying brands. I mention this because cheap packs off ebay and such are often times over rated on specs, so the packs your trying to use aren't able to handle the load your trying to pull and voltage is dropping.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

‘Peak Racing PowerPlant’ are those that cause me issues, the ones that work fine are branded as Centro or the others are unbranded. If anything I would have thought the unbranded 20c would be the ones that didn’t want to work.
I think you may be on to something when you say they can’t handle the load I’m trying to pull, maybe they’re under spec out the box!

I have never hit LVC in my crawlers, not even close. I think most people have a really good idea how how long/far they can go before swapping packs. If someone relies on LVC then they need to pay more attention ;-)

I have on a couple of occasions, usually it’s me running out of puff than the battery running out of juice!

Albeit it’s not a crawler on this occasion, it’s my Traxxas Summit.

any time you add traxxasss in to the mix with anything electronic all logic goes out the window
its happening cause traxxass thata what they do

As said previously to you, I’ve never had any issues with any Traxxas electronics apart from killing a TRX4 steering servo, that’s my only casualty.

Either way it’s still not a good idea IMO. I have hit LVC twice and both times I knew it was gonna happen, but you can easily kill a battery if you don’t run LVC.

any time you add traxxasss in to the mix with anything electronic all logic goes out the window

True lol. Traxxas does some funny wizardry with their electronics that doesn’t help!

Last edited:
As said previously to you, I’ve never had any issues with any Traxxas electronics apart from killing a TRX4 steering servo, that’s my only casualty.

your having a issue here

with traxxass

but you never had any issues with traxxasssssss electronics

hahahahaha bahahahahaha haaaahhhhahahha

haha

hahahahahahaha hahahaha haaahhahha

ok im good now lol thanks for the laughf

your having a issue here

with traxxass

but you never had any issues with traxxasssssss electronics

hahahahaha bahahahahaha haaaahhhhahahha

haha

hahahahahahaha hahahaha haaahhahha

ok im good now lol thanks for the laughf

No, if you care to read the batteries are the issue.

I’m getting tired of you ramming your ‘Traxxas is junk’ opinion down my throat, it’s monotonous and boring.

Depends... On one hand, I can agree. Running a 5000mha pack in one of my crawlers, I tend to hit a stopping point before the LVC kicks in. But, if I am running 2000ah packs to save weight when running a G6-style event, then I will hit LVC ever time. If I had an instance where I needed to turn LVC off, I would throw in a lipo alarm.

One big thing to remember here, this is a Summit, which is not the same as your garden variety crawler. These pull more juice, which means they normally hit LVC when running.

Meh... Still better than Axial electronics. 8)

Back