• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

*****esc Crimping*****

trevely15

Hey guys.
Is it safe to crimp wires onto a motor with soldering on the bit that the wire goes into Because my local hobby store says its not safe but i crimped it on and it seemed to work fine.

Thanks, Tom

Not sure I understand but I think I do... you crimped a connector onto the factory tinned wire ends on the ESC to motor side? if so the hobby shop is right.... although I don't think it's "not safe". It may work OK but the connector is not going to crimp onto the tinned wire as well as it would if it were not tinned.

The only crimped connectors I do are on the servo plug side if i need to shorten the lead from the ESC to receiver... ESC>battery connectors and ESC>motor are always soldered"thumbsup"

itll get hot and burn the conection up sooner or later because of resistance in the crimp connection

I had a buddy of mine crimped on the connectors to swap his wraith to a Deans connector (don't ask how it was crimped as I don't know, just know it was not soldered properly). It worked good for a month them poof; it started smoking and I burned the shit out of my finger trying to disconnect the battery to save the crawler. I pulled out my little butane soldering iron and did them properly withing 2 mins or so and now they are good to go. I would solder the connections.

Most soldering irons are pretty inexpensive, just pick one up and teach yourself how to solder. A good solder joint should be shiny and smooth and will be nice and strong. You can get one of the little bread boards from Radio Shack and use that to practice on.

Back