• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

DowntownScience's U4 Bomber "budget" upgrades

DowntownScience

Rock Crawler
DowntownScience's "Zero F*cks Given" U4 Bomber budget upgrades

U4RC has become all the rage lately in my area with Auburn Performance Raceway putting together a really nice outdoor track.

I have a couple of SCX10's that I probably could have modified for the 1.9 class, but I wanted a KOH style rig. Definitely not anything I could afford prior to the Axial Bomber.

This Bomber will be setup for U4RC, not crawling. The plan is to keep it as stock and light as possible, only replacing the items that break along the way.

Here is a picture of the way she sits today after a few necessary upgrades.

2016-06-02%2016.33.36_small.jpg

Upgrade #1: Electronics

I didn't think that the stock electronics and 35T motor were going to net many wins so the first thing to get replaced were the electronics. Plus all my batteries have Traxxas connectors!

In place of the stock electronics I planned for...

Radio: Futaba 4PLS radio and a spare receiver I had for it.

ESC: HobbyWing XERUN 90A Sensored Brushless with external Castle BEC (from my 2wd SC10)

Motor: Either a Trinity Monster HP 17.5T locked or the HobbyWing 13.5T that came with the ESC.

Servo: Ordered a Savox SA1230SG. Didn't have anything in my servo inventory that was going to turn those big 2.2's as quick as I would like.

In addition to the servo I ordered a Hot Racing aluminum motor mount and motor plate because I wanted a solid foundation for my brushless power. I also ordered an aluminum steering link kit as this is another area where the plastic just doesn't give you the results you'd like. The last item I ordered was the Axial optional sway bar. A must have for any U4RC!

Waiting for parts, did some painting:

With the Bomber all tore down waiting on parts I decided I would paint the fuel cell and the battery tray pieces. After looking at a bunch of pictures of the 1:1 Bomber it looked to me like the battery tray should actually be painted to look aluminum since it appeared that the aluminum body panels wrapped around the front in addition to the aluminum firewall.

Here's how those turned out.

2016-03-09%2019.23.25_small.jpg
2016-03-09%2021.16.03_small.jpg
2016-03-09%2021.15.42_small.jpg

And that concludes the "building" part of this thread!

Parts Received:

Received the servo, motor mount, motor plate, steering links, and sway bar. Decided to start with the Trinity Monster HP 17.5T motor. I quickly realized that I needed more power and installed the 13.5T motor. Stock gearing. Much better speed. Hadn't made up my mind on wheels and tires yet, so I installed a set of the Axial Rocksters w/ Axial Rip Saw's that I had laying around. Not sure what kind of foams were installed, but they were single stage open cell.

Initial Impressions:

WOW! This truck is going to be a lot of fun! Incredibly nimble for its size and length. Soaks up everything. Rolls ALOT! Not crazy about the spare tire carrier.

2016-03-17%2009.03.07_small.jpg

Upgrade #2: Suspension links and differential lockers

Portions of my testing took place in front of my house on asphalt. After running through a few battery packs I began to notice that my truck was no longer launching in a straight line. As I'm driving it I'm thinking the links are buckling under acceleration and/or the locker is starting to go and I'm not getting equal tire rotation out of each side.

It was pretty evident to the naked eye that the links were bending and buckling. I didn't open the differential, just decided that if they weren't dead now, they would be soon!

Ordered a set of American Machine Works (Ebay) aluminum links, Boom Racing trailing arms, and Hot Racing steel lockers.

br648013gm-480x380.jpg

The trailing arms and lockers installed without any issues. The links didn't quite install as shown in the pictures, but I was able to get them installed without any binding of the drive shafts.

NOTE: Do not use plastic bent rod ends to help with the angles. They will break when jumping and/or landing!

Upgrade #3: Wheels and Tires

The original plan was to remove the stock tires with Acetone and mount them to some plastic GMADE GT02 rims that I thought looked pretty nice.

The first problem I ran into is that the stock tires are ribbed all the way down into the inner bead. The inner and outer beads are also a slightly different diameter than most 2.2 tires. I tried the stock tires on the Axial Rocksters that I had and it still didn't work well because the beadlock rings would have to compress the rubber rib inside of the tire. May have worked out OK, just didn't seem like the proper application.

I tried the Axial Rip Saws with the GMADE GT02 rims. These rims are plastic and use an inner bead. I've never been a fan of the inner bead because you don't really have any control over how tight the bead locks down. That is more in the design of the rim. Rims were fairly cheap for the entire set, so what the heck! These rims didn't lock the tire down tight enough and I was able to pull the bead right out by hand.

Decided I would just stick with the Rocksters and the RipSaw's for now. Really liked the tread on the RipSaw's anyway. Ordered a set of the Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild (Tall) foams because I wanted the tires to be very firm, like the way R/C SCT tires are.

Installed the foams in the tires and set out to test some more. I try to be fairly tough on the truck when testing because I'm trying to simulate race conditions as much as possible and want the truck to be ready to race. I don't want to take it out there and have it break on Lap 1!

Links and lockers definitely made the truck a bit more solid. And when you make something more solid you also expose another weakness!

I destroyed those Rocksters during that training session. When I was done the aluminum hex on the axle had made a good 90 degree rotation within the plastic hex of the wheel.

Looks like I'm going to need aluminum wheels!

Like I said previously I don't really like the inner bead design. I like the bead ring design because I know that as long as I tighten down the ring while the tire is seated in the groove properly it WILL NOT come out. No matter how hard I pull on it! This style of wheel seems to be a dying breed! There are a few smaller manufacturers out there that make some very nice wheels, but in the end they're almost as much as VP. Needed to find something much cheaper.

Xtra Speed 2.2 8 spoke beadlocks to the rescue. Great looking wheel in my opinion. The tire wraps the rims and sits in the bead just perfectly. The supplied hardware is a bit soft so you need to be careful to get each screw threaded a few turns before locking anything down or you run the risk of stripping the threads on the screws.

51bzicbMk7L.jpg

$21.70 per pair on Amazon!

With the wheels installed I noticed some rubbing of the inner bead hardware with the drag link rod end. To eliminate this rub I installed Team KNK 8 mm hexes (stock hexes are 6 mm). The wheel nut would just barely tighten down past flush with the 8mm thick hexes. I applied blue Loctite to each of the axle shaft threads and also purchased a set of the Traxxas flanged nylon locking nuts to try to ensure that the nuts don't fall off while I'm driving!

12mm%2520x%25208mm%2520aluminum%2520hexes-1.jpg
3647.jpg

Upgrade #4: Suspension

Wasn't a giant fan of how easy the Bomber wanted to roll. Thought about heavier springs and re-filling the stock shocks of course, but then began to read Maslin's thread and saw how he went to a 90mm front and 100 mm rear like most 2WD RC SCT's.

Wasn't ready to buy anything quite yet so I installed a set of the stock Traxxas Slash 2WD shocks I had on hand, with 30WT oil F/R, and with the stock white springs F/R. This was definitely an improvement over the stock setup. The rear worked really well. The front seemed stiff. I couldn't really see the front suspension compressing at all when driving quickly over rocks and other terrain. It would flex in crawling situations, but I needed it to be much softer and quicker to tackle track conditions.

I have become a big fan of the Team Associated SC10B stock shocks in my SCX10's and thought that they'd work out really well in this setup also. Here's why! The diameter of these shocks are slightly less than the stock Traxxas shocks. This would allow for faster damping with smaller diameter pistons. They have aluminum bodies. They have a wide range of spring weights available in kits. The shock retainers snap over the shaft so they can't come off while you're driving. There is a wide range of upgrades for this style of shock. If you're lucky you can get a set of 4 for $20- off eBay. $30- for 4 at the most. These shocks aren't threaded but so what! I find it to be faster and more accurate side to side to just use the plastic collars.

sc10-shocks_3644_md.jpg

Found a F/R set on eBay for $20-. Ordered a set of the black springs for the front (softest). I had several options for the rear springs on hand. Purchased 15WT oil for the fronts and a set of the pistons so that I could make sure that the front had the fastest piston available. Added FT aluminum shock caps.

associated-7426-truck-front-racing-spring-black-3.gif
1598_md.jpg

Initial Testing:

Front - Much better. Front actually had a small amount of droop when sitting static now.

Rear - Much too soft and fast with 30 WT oil and gold springs. Too soft with blue springs, better with red springs (hardest) but still too fast.

So fast that it actually ripped the shock ball end right off of the shaft after flying off of a few jumps! I could also hear the rear end of the cage smacking the rear axle truss each time it landed. Went to 40 WT oil in the rear to slow it down. With the red springs it is perfect now!

Purchased 100 mm limit straps for the rear to give the shocks a bit of support and to ensure that the ball end doesn't come off again!

126824.jpg

Moved the front shocks outside of the shock mounts for greater stability (Thanks Maslin!)

The Bomber is on rails now!

Last edited:
nice rig i love the way those wheels look. what tires and rims are those anyway?

Thanks Trey.

The rims are Xtra Speed 2.2 aluminum 8 spoke (cheap off Ebay).

Tires are Axial RipSaws. They are filled with Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild (Tall) foams.

Great thread, very informative for people setting it up for U4 racing. Now, if they'd only bring U4 to England where I live that would be great

You may want to edit your post about using XR10 unis in an AR60 axle. This may confuse a new builder looking for info.

You may want to edit your post about using XR10 unis in an AR60 axle. This may confuse a new builder looking for info.
Thanks. You're totally right. Coming from scx10 I always heard about this type of axle shaft as "xr10 mod" but now see that the Xr10 shafts are equal in length like an scx10. You need the "ocp" universals. Had no idea what that meant either until I found it mentioned in an old Wraith manual. Ocp = off centered pumpkin for those that didnt know... like me!

I updated the post and pic and included the part number.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
DowntownScience's "Zero F*cks Given" U4 Bomber budget upgrades - CONTINUED

Upgrade #5: DMG Spare Tire Mount

I had to have my very own DMG spare tire carrier. A beautiful piece in its simplicity, form, and function! Painted it flat black to match the cage. Didn't get any pictures of it when it was all pretty, but here it is after running it around with an spare tire on it for a while.

2016-05-13%2018.49.07_small.jpg

Upgrade #6: Servo Mount

2016-05-20%2020.34.09_small.jpg
2016-05-13%2008.04.10_small.jpg

Upgrade #7: Front Axles

Ripped the ball off of one of the dog bones. "thumbsup" Replaced with Axial Univerals (part 30780)

AX30780-1.jpg

These things are amazing! Incredibly smooth with almost zero turning limits. The Bomber has a pretty tight turning radius now even though it's really long.

Another unknown bonus is that there is quite a bit more thread for the wheel nuts on these axle shafts. Back to where I was before the wider hexes.

2016-05-13%2008.07.08_small.jpg
2016-05-13%2008.07.18_small.jpg

Upgrade #8: Beef Tubes

So this happened after smacking the right rear tire on a fence in my back yard a couple too many times.

2016-05-23%2012.45.14_small.jpg

It surprised me how thin the plastic is through that area where the shock mount attaches.

Decided to replace the stock plastic housing and axle shafts and add aluminum beef tubes for strength.

s742096584158563654_p44_i2_w640.jpg

Axial Sway Bar:

Some shots of the Axial sway bar and the flex that is still available with it installed.

2016-04-13%20_small.jpg
2016-04-13%2014.12.23_small.jpg

2016-04-13%2014.13.33_small.jpg
2016-04-13%2014.13.15_small.jpg

Motor and Gearing:

I'm running a HobbyWing 13.5T (@3300kV) sensored brushless motor on 2S. I have it geared 15/64 (4.26:1).

Temperatures are very moderate, around 120 degrees. I feel like it could probably have more top end, but I really like the throttle band it has right now. It launches from a stand still very aggressively and rips coming out of a corner. It's more quick than fast.

Last edited:
Back