• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Do I have a knockoff HH Crawlmaster Sport in my hands?

xagoras

Quarry Creeper
Until recently I was running a HH Crawlmaster Sport 13T on my rig, paired with a HB 1080 ESC. Was running great, but thought to get a replacement at some point, so I went for the 15T to get more torque.

Had the new motor in it's bag for a few months until the old one starts to show signs of wear.

A month ago, I decided to make the swap, so installed the new motor. I noticed a slight difference in the can colors. Old one had a darker red lettering, new one had a slightly brighter one. Other than that no changes were made to the rig.

The big dissapointment came during the first couple of test runs. New motor couldn't hold the rig downhill, where the old one had no problem doing so. As soon as there is a reasonable incline it just goes down without brakes at all.

So I'm thinking, did I get a cheap knockoff (if such a thing exists at all) or is it simply a matter of new brushes needing to work a little bit before they actually work?

The new motor came from a major Chinese based rc shop.

I'll try to get a picture of the 2 motors next to each other.

HH motors have a bearing on the output side and the knock offs have bushings, that’s a quick way to tell

I've spent the last half hour trying to rememebr where on earth I stored the old motor, to take pictures :ror:

Anyway, found it. Old motor (definitely genuine) on the left, new on the right:

Not sure if the slight color difference shows in the picture under this light, but it's there.

Again, old on the left, new on the right:

Is this a bushing on the right? Looks like a cheap bearing, but I'm not sure

This one shows the other end of the motors. Old on the right this time, now on the left. The shaft extends a bit outside of the bushing, on the new one.

I sent them an email. See if they get back to me. If they don't I'll take it to PayPal

Hope to see you get this resolved asap, OP. Also glad that you posted so that others can see what's what and to draw more exposure to the counterfeiters.

Don't ever buy anything with a known brand name off sites like that based out of china. Always cheap knock offs and such. Thought that was internet 101 the days.

90% of stuff over there is cheaply crap made knock offs by dudes in there closets trying to make a quick buck. Other 10% is legitimate companies but the "brands" are 1 of several under an umbrella which has connections to several factories.

I'd say ask me how I know but I feel like crap thanks to kids bringing colds home and that's a way to long series of stories.

Basically, if it's a known brand, especially a bigger brand label or looks almost exactly like a bigger brands product, steer clear unless it's actually from a known supplier (like Amain, rpp, your LHS etc) based here in the US.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

JRH recommeded in the other thread linked to always buy from reputable sources.
They have bumped up their game and done a great job of copying the packing, down to including stickers and everything.

The best bet is to just use known vendors and don't buy from china unless its direct from RCmart or asiatees. I assume they aren't the ones knocking us off, although the SKU on the fakes is what RC mart is using on theirs.

I would have though Asiatees would be considered reputable but I've only ordered from them twice so I dont know where they stand.

Well, I'm aware of the risks of buying something not genuine through web stores, but come on, I'd never thought a site like Atees would sell knock offs. Getting parts here in Europe from the US is getting more and more difficult nowadays.

I usually get most my RC things from the same shop, but some brands like HH is difficult to get hold of around here

Asiatees is a legit reseller?

I’ve bought a Revolver and a Puller Pro from there before

Definitely looks fake.

Odd that it would come from Asiatees, I've ordered from them several times, never had an issue with knockoffs or anything otherwise hinky. Having said that, I'm not sure they are a Holmes authorized retailer? They do have a ton of stuff in stock.

try contacting holms hobbies send them the pics and see what they have to say

this is a good idea. At the very least Holmes deserves to know. I imagine Asia Tees sells a shit-ton of stuff

I sent a message to the Holmes website. I was hoping he would see this topic and jump in, but not sure if he active in this forum lately.

Asiatees replied to my initial message very quick, asking for pictures and a video. I sent them, but they've been silent since then.

Back