• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

DIY Functional Light bar

Speedtospare

This uses 2 sized of aluminum u channel to make and is painted rattle can black. The lights are wired for 11.1V. The 2 outter led's are standard bright led's but the inside are six 3 chip 5050 SMD led's. The setup is freaky bright. I also have two 9 led flashlights converted for headlights. I am waiting on some 47 ohm resistors to get the headlights at full brightness. It literally will light up a dark room. The entire light bar can be submerged in water.

Is this 100% scale? Probably not but it does resemble the new LED off-road light bars.

The bar is just placed on the top of the truck. I will tap the holes and bolt it down tonight. I lit up pictures is just resting on top of a 3S lipo. The truck is used for mainly trail running and some scale crawling. We have night runs so this should light up the trail a little better :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

tried taking some pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
do you have any more pics of the bar itself? this is a good idea. what led light strip are you using?

No more pictures on me but I will take some this weekend. The strip led's are 5050 SMD (3 chip) with black PCB backing. Only downfall is that is designed for 12V. I bought 25 ft off of ebay for $28, just look p 505 smd strip black. Its cheaper without the black pcb backing. The aluminum channel is just from the local hardware store. There 2 different sizes that I just flipped around to fit one inside the other. The ends are just bent to over the openeing. This is the second version I made. The 3rd will be even better I will silver solder and grind the gaps for a complete smooth look.

Last edited:
nice job of putting that together
looks great !

You could paint the front facia black
leaving clear openings just over the light diodes
maybe still not to scale... but would look cooler "thumbsup"

^ plastic dip spray... so you can change yer mind

Back