• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Defender D90 body on Wrangler Unlimited SCX10

b8point6

Hi All,
New to the forum and excited to participate in the community. I've always been a huge LR Defender fan but alas being in the US they are hard to come by and out of my budget. I picked up a SCX10 Wrangler recently and so far am thoroughly enjoying it. I started looking for scale accessories to add to the Jeep body and one thing led to another and I found this body on ebay

Land Rover D90 Bodies with Metal Luggage Tray Set for SCX10 RC4WD | eBay

I'm wondering if anyone has this on the longer wheelbase SCX10? I've tried to search a lot and all I can find are videos but no details beyond there. Help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, anyone know of any good sites/brands to pick up accessories like fuel cans, trail gear etc? And where do I pick up a torso/body for the driver? Pix of what you guys have in your jeeps will be hugely helpful too.

Cheers
b8point5

You do need to make some adjustments. You need to shorten the suspension links and make some brackets to hold the body on. The clutch housing also interacts with the interior. I decided to build one of these from scratch using the dingo kit. I was given a new chassis with the kit for Christmas so I'm adapting everything to fit onto that.

Here is my build log:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/520501-bangles-scx10-d90.html

For a completed build, google : 'bones scx10 landrover d90 build'

Here is the chassis I have:
ROCK CRAWLER ALUMINIUM CHASSIS For SCX10 Land Rover D90 .W2 | eBay

Hope that helps,
Amanda

Several people have posted pix of D90 bodies on an SCX10 chassis, and there are a few build threads out there (also check out the Scale 4x4 and Scale Builders Guild forums). It wouldn't require quite as much fabbing as bangle is doing, but it's definitely not a drop-in mod. At a minimum, you'd need to shorten the wheelbase and come up with a way to mount the body. If you want the full interior, you'd also have to move the motor to the front and add a transfer case. GCM sells a forward motor conversion kit for the SCX10.

If you go this route, be careful about buying stuff directly from Asia. Quality and customer service can be very iffy. If you're going to get just the body, I'd recommend the RC4WD version instead. Good quality and excellent customer service if you have a problem. And if you can swing it in your budget, it's worth looking at the Gelande 2 kit. It's an excellent kit that really only needs shocks as an upgrade. I have an SCX10 G6 and a Gelande 2 and am glad I have both. Good luck!

Last edited:
Several people have posted pix of D90 bodies on an SCX10 chassis, and there are a few build threads out there (also check out the Scale 4x4 and Scale Builders Guild forums). It wouldn't require quite as much fabbing as bangle is doing, but it's definitely not a drop-in mod. At a minimum, you'd need to shorten the wheelbase and come up with a way to mount the body. If you want the full interior, you'd also have to move the motor to the front and add a transfer case. GCM sells a forward motor conversion kit for the SCX10.

If you go this route, be careful about buying stuff directly from Asia. Quality and customer service can be very iffy. If you're going to get just the body, I'd recommend the RC4WD version instead. Good quality and excellent customer service if you have a problem. And if you can swing it in your budget, it's worth looking at the Gelande 2 kit. It's an excellent kit that really only needs shocks as an upgrade. I have an SCX10 G6 and a Gelande 2 and am glad I have both. Good luck!

Do you know ho difficult it would be to shorten the wheel base? Is the other stuff really necessary? I'm ok with cutting the interior around the components.

Not saying this to be snarky, but if you're asking the question or if it sounds to you like this might be a bit overwhelming, you're probably not ready for this yet. At a minimum, shortening the wheelbase would mean shortening the links (upper and lower) to bring the axles in closer. Depending on how far in you need to go, you might also need or want to move the shock towers for better geometry. And then you'll need to figure out how to mount the body. It's a trial and error process, and not one I'd recommend unless you've had experience with modding and fabbing or you're willing to take some risks as you figure it out. After building and modding 4 kits, I built a hybrid using a combination of Gmade and Axial components. It took a fair bit of improvisation, trial and error to get it to where I like it. I wouldn't have been able to do it on my first build. If you're going to head in that direction, I'd suggest reading up on as many threads as possible where people have made changes to the SCX-10 platform so that you can get a better idea of the kinds of things that might be involved. Or hold your fire and get a Gelande 2 D90 kit...you won't be disappointed. Good luck!

Back