• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Crunky's Rey based comeback thread

crunky

I wanna be Dave
Subscribed Member
Hello gang, it's been a while since I was playing with toy cars and taking pictures of my characters doing work. Lots of things have changed over the years, it's amazing how many manufacturers and items are available today. Maybe you remember my entertaining build threads ?

My New Bronco

The Rock Cop

Crunk Rock volume 2

Crunky's Fronty-Jero

Crunks Red Wrangler rebuild

I've been looking to get back into the hobby but this time a little quicker than the scalers I used to run. I've been a big fan of U4 and the Hammers series for years so finding something similar was the goal. I am lucky enough to have scored a Rock Rey, so bam !!! I'm baaaack.
( this time no dolls folks, sorry. )

It's a kit, so building this should be a treat.
I've been acquiring parts for it, and have scored a few bonus items.

Traxxas screw mod for the diffs
Valterra front locker for center diff
Exotek front gearbox set
Hot racing third member
Hot racing alloy steering
Hot racing upper link mount
Mamba X
Castle slate 2850
Savox SW1210-SG
Spektrum DX5 with SRS6000
Crawler innovations 6 hole wheels
Proline BFG KO2 tires
Rocklube formula 2 circa 2011

I'm stoked how smooth this kit goes together, the fit and finish is top quality stuff. I guess 3D printing has taken over the life of the old plastic trees. No more fixing yourself up with stiches because of a rogue X-acto knife.

Thankfully this site is loaded with historical knowledge, and because of that I have a few tricks up my sleeve to throw at my Rock Rey to give it that Crunky touch. Thank you to everyone that's shared tips, tricks, info and pics here at RCC. It's nice to see this place still alive and very active after all these years, high five !!!

Ok, now I've got my intro out of the way... I promise it will be mostly pics

a439ff8c86568b6d49f921ac0300abd8.jpg

e6fb15932c390a103cbbaa993b7b502d.jpg

b19b745880d44fd1f94ccedd6382551e.jpg

50b92fbf64ef3b17f7dadf8bea39c8d9.jpg

6983dce8d536ca93cd98859c796c1684.jpg

I got the front diff built and i threw the 1 million weight diff lube in the front. I had read that many guys run this setup with good results so I figured I'd try my luck. I did the screw mod to the diff with the dremel stone and some light machine oil, worked awesome for me it just takes a little time. It's all so nicely packaged in the Exotek housing.

Last edited:
Very nice. Just put mine together last weekend and added all the exotek stuff. Their stuff seems quite nice.

It sounded like some folks had issues with the exotek housing fitting in the aluminum “backbone” plate. It might require some grinding to fit.

Nice build so far. Good choice on the locked center and 1mil front fluid. Which 1mil diff fluid did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And it’s actually able to squeeze out of that bottle? Lol I was just asking bc the stuff I use is like glue. Takes 5-10 minutes just to settle in the container if it was laying sideways or something. I use the 1mil but thinking of trying the 2.5 or even 20mil haha.
34d9d8229f705de210aba92747af329f.jpg

And it’s actually able to squeeze out of that bottle? Lol I was just asking bc the stuff I use is like glue. Takes 5-10 minutes just to settle in the container if it was laying sideways or something. I use the 1mil but thinking of trying the 2.5 or even 20mil haha.

It was an interesting experience to say the least. I used a small screwdriver as a spatula and just paddled as much of the " fluid " in between all the gears. Then I assembled the diff and cycled it a few times. I opened it back up and topped it off with the goop. Seems to be ok.

I didn't get too many shots of the final stages, it was just going too smooth and fun to stop.
I'll share these...

3e9ebefa6144966b3cea99cbf1f9f39e.jpg

3ba9d87c0f959416eace57b915e71e8a.jpg

55a3fc29133ff1cd163bee89e400423c.jpg

bf97b0df74d1d99a708892b1fa5a5ebc.jpg

e818ad884b3921b1a283a8fe93b9db73.jpg

73630b8c808847042d4c1b7e8ed30352.jpg

31e6fa4baaf1f3db73510882999754f2.jpg

I had it out for a few runs now, super fun and very stable thanks to that Spektrum radio and receiver with AVC. The gyro is amazing. Things sure have come a long long way from the old days of having a Blackfoot and throwing in an old Monster power 360...

I've got leaky shocks, go figure. They were leaking from the fill screws the night I built them. I even went back and double checked to make sure I didn't miss the little O-ring... But no, they still weep. I'm sure there's a set of powerstroke shocks out there for me.

Big thanks to the guys at Wreckless hobbies in Wareham Ma. Great shop with a huge variety, and knowledge of what items I'd be looking to pick up for my build.

Thanks for reading, sharing, and your time !!!

Good stuff. It’s a fun truck for sure. My other rig is a crawler, and anytime I’m out on the trail with it I find myself thinking “I wish I had my RR with me instead” haha

Good stuff. It’s a fun truck for sure. My other rig is a crawler, and anytime I’m out on the trail with it I find myself thinking “I wish I had my RR with me instead” haha

This vehicle is my first brushless and lipo setup ever, so I had to go with the mamba x and castle slate to ensure I had a good first experience. The low end that the esc and sensored motor throws out still baffles me... It's amazing. It's a crawler and a short course truck all in one.
Why didn't I do this in 2008 ?

I'll definitely be building another trail truck in the not too distant future, I can feel it.

Back