• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Crawlmaster VS. Trailmaster

IndianaFarmer

Rock Stacker
Options.. Options...

Just smoked the stock motor in my Wraith. I was looking to get a new motor and have it narrowed down to two options: The HH Crawlmaster Pro 13t or the HH Trailmaster Pro 540. My driving style is 50% trail and 50% crawling with an occasional wide open bashing here and there. Occasional mud and water and snow, no submerging ever. Which motor would be my best fit along with turns or kv too? Thanks!

Trailmaster is brushless, unless there's another one I can't find. That makes the decision pretty easy, do you just want to get a new brushed motor, or go brushless with a motor and esc?

I'd like something long lasting, although the occasional maintenance of a brushed motor wouldn't bother me. I was going to get a new esc either way so no biggie there. Basically I want something that fits my driving style well, is smooth, and good for the occasional water that it'd be going through.

What is everyones experience with the motors. Has anybody had both and prefer one over the other?

I have the Crawlmaster expert 13t in my Wraith and love it. Smoothest motor I have ever had. And powerful. If you run it on 3s lipo the 13t will fit your needs. I have tried the sensored brushless crawler stuff , but none of them will crawl or downhill as good as brushed. And the 13t HH on 3s is pretty fast.

I have had the 13t CM in my wraith with the stock AE2. It is a great motor, loads of torque, and nice low speed crawls are easy. The Trailmaster brushless is what I have in there now. I have had limited running time with it because we've been hammered with snow all winter, but I have to say the running time that I did have with it had me smiling ear to ear every second of it. I'm running it with a MMP pro, and 3s. I need some new batteries with a higher C rating to really appreciate the motor.

My driving style is similar to yours. 50/50 crawling and trailing with some bashing around. The Trailmaster has me sold on brushless motors.

Great combo, you'll like it!"thumbsup"

Gear it low at first and move up in pinion size while keeping a eye on the temp.

I'm running 87/14 and it's almost perfect. Might drop to a 13T for better low end.

Last edited:
For those who wanted an update... Here's what just came in the mail! I'll be soldering it up tomorrow!

d253e37f42b17d09cc5c7b25447e6458.jpg

I run the BRXL and the 16 pro with 5.60:1 on 3s. Barely warms up! Great craw and plenty of speed for hill climbing. I'm sure you'll love the 13t. Check the timing when installing. I am running mine about 8deg adv.

Where do you live IndianaFarmer? I'm southeast of Columbus IN.

After a few days running my Crawlmaster 13t with 56/13 gearing, I have to say I love it. Even with the gearing higher than it should be, it has no problem crawling. The Brxl lets the motor creep right over tough rocks. Has enough torque to flip "boulders" out from underneath it with ease. Trail riding through sand is awesome. It has just the right amount of speed and get up. Hill climbing is a blast. Especially with the loose sand.
977346b125641a92a7b2d910775e3706.jpg
e30dc64ce2a37ae31a146ad0966c647f.jpg
44ae0cce1dec4e4f8d57e98f36f0c008.jpg

I highly recommend the Crawlmaster 13t and Brxl combo!

I put mine in today, on 3s,it goes about as fast as you want a Wraith to go, great torque, nice roost, creep as slow as you want too

f3b6f88d98ec9c16d022b88b24639824.jpg

Back