• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Convert Gatekeeper or SSD TK, GS02F, DC1, 10.2, 10.3?

Derka

I have a Gatekeeper kit built currently but it's not for me, I prefer a trail truck and something like a Bomber or other rock bouncer for higher speed and general light bashing would fill that gap.

I can convert the GK to a normal Enduro for about $110 (High Clearance rear links, bumper mounts, body posts, tower mounts, floor boards and rock sliders) but I have had several Enduro kits and the following info puts me off after reading info on here.

1. Chassis sits high (compared to SCX10.2, SSD TK)
2. Drive shaft angles are poor
3. Poor axle design (square, large-ish etc)
4. Motor placement/battery mount not ideal

But do those things really hinder performance on the trail?

Then if it's not conducive to change the Enduro back to 4-link what is the best performance chassis to start from?

10.2/TK - I was thinking 2-speed which would rule out the TK. But is the 2-speed worth it? Neither have inner fenders either.

GS02F. Nice front motor, 2 speed trans and inner fenders, but is it a performer?

Axial 10.3?

Anything else to consider? Looking for a a solid rig where the chassis is spot on and not limiting in anyway and it's only my driving limiting performance!šŸ˜‡

Last edited:
My Enduro wheels circles around my OG scx10 10ii and it is an RTR with kit electronics, the only thing i have changed is shock oil, tires/foams, and servo. It climbs better, suspension is smoother, better side hill. I can't speak to the 10iii but I am enjoying straight axle rigs and haven't found a compelling reason yet to buy a portal truck. I have not had any issues with bump steer or torque twist (beyond what is expected) like others have. Overall so far it has been a reliable truck and I am not easy on it. As far as the drive shaft angles they are a little steep but it does not appear to hinder performance. I would take the 'squarish' axles in stride considering the behind axle steering is very nice. Not sure what the gripe about the battery placement is, I am able to fit a 5200 MAh 3s comfortably in the front of mine. I suppose if you wanted to run a narrow body like the jConcepts Creep that would be an issue since it isn't in line with the frame like on the 10ii.

All of that babbling to say if I had to choose between owning another 10ii and an Enduro there is no contest. The tranny alone with the OD options makes it a slam dunk. I have not owned a TK but the $150-200 in aluminum bits it comes with plus the steering everyone talks about makes the decision between it and the 10ii a no brainer.

You already have most of a very capable truck. I love my Enduro.
I would keep it, you'd be surprised how well it works.
Best upgrades are the SSD axle weights and some hi-clearance links.
Club5 makes a nice set and Factory Team has a set available too.
Both fairly cheap. The OD trans is super and smooth.
Throw on a body and have fun. "thumbsup"

You already have most of a very capable truck. I love my Enduro.
I would keep it, you'd be surprised how well it works.
Best upgrades are the SSD axle weights and some hi-clearance links.
Club5 makes a nice set and Factory Team has a set available too.
Both fairly cheap. The OD trans is super and smooth.
Throw on a body and have fun. "thumbsup"

Have you had a problem at all with the drive shaft contacting obstacles first with the high clearance links? I looked at doing them but thought it would leave the shaft exposed at the differential end. Kind of wanted the links to be the first point of contact in that scenario since they aren't a moving part/are fairly durable in kit form.

Have you had a problem at all with the drive shaft contacting obstacles first with the high clearance links? I looked at doing them but thought it would leave the shaft exposed at the differential end. Kind of wanted the links to be the first point of contact in that scenario since they aren't a moving part/are fairly durable in kit form.

I angled my pinions up a bit so that hasn't been an issue. I've also seen peeps
run them backwards, high end at skid, to help with that. Doesn't look right to
me but it works.

Thanks guys. Just what I wanted to hear. Bought the bits to convert to a trail truck and bought a new body for it.

Went with the Factory Team high clearance links. Already have the fronts from the GK kit so will now have a full set for all wheelbases now.

Back