• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Codyboy element builds, (Enduro/Gatekeeper)

CODYBOY

I wanna be Dave
I like the Gatekeeper kit price so much that I couldn't pass it up. So this is my Gatecto.
I wasn't going to do a thread for this truck but I did a couple changes that might help someone on here. "thumbsup"

I didn't document the actual build "cause" there are so many great ones in this section already. ;-) So no pics of me putting it together.

Here is what I have right now.

Associated has always made such great shocks, but I see a few guys on here buying the HR bleeder caps for the kit shocks. Well if you know me, you know I'm cheep. And if I can mod it or make it I will.

I've had these in my drill box for quite some time and thought the worst I could do was mess up a plastic shock cap.

So I screwed the caps onto a old associated buggy shock and used a small hobby vise to hold it and drilled and tapped away.

The one thing in doing this is to drill your hole about 5mm up on the flat part of the cap mount and at a 90 degree angle to the flat spot. This should give you plenty of material to drill into. Main thing is to make sure your hole ends in the inside of the cap.

Last edited:
I very much like the paint job on the ecto body, well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So next change was to the gearing in the tranny. I got a set of these and a inverse shaft.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/hotedr830x50.htm

And did this up grade but I used the new shaft instead of grinding on the case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBN6GzdwCgQ

Next, I want to try and get this body to ride as low as I can get it and still crawl the way it is capable of.
So shocks first, when I built them I added 5mm spacers behind the pistons to shorten them a little. Kit pistons, with 27.5 in the front and 37.5 in the rear.
Next on the rear I flipped the link mounts over on the axle and remounted the trail arms in a higher position. This dropped the chassis down almost half an inch in the rear.
In the front I laid the shocks back using the new shock mounts.

I'm not going to use the sway bar unless I have some torque twist problems. So to help get the chassis a little lower in the rear I used those hole in the trail arm to mount the shock.

Ok guys thats all for tonight. "thumbsup"
Ernie

Last edited:
It is pained on, but we have a cutting machine and I use it to make all my paint stencils and decals. "thumbsup"
Ernie

I have been thinking about getting a cutting machine to make masks. What machine do you use?

Looking great Ernie!"thumbsup"

Another sweet looking paint job! The chrome adds a nice touch!

Nice idea on the shock bleeders. Now I wish I would have thought about that before I ordered the HR bleeder caps. Noted for future shock builds!;-)

I'll have to check out that YT vid about the trans. I've been thinking about using the inverse top shaft.

Stunning paint job Ernie, It’s really cool....and as per usual you are full of good ideas "thumbsup"

I am In for the inspiration!

Damn fine looking rig Mr. "thumbsup"

Thank you sir, but I don't think as good as some of yours!;-)

I have been thinking about getting a cutting machine to make masks. What machine do you use?

The cutter we use is a Silhouette Cameo 4.

It sure makes doing nice paint jobs a lot easier. Also you can make a paint job your own. "thumbsup"

Looking great Ernie!"thumbsup"

Another sweet looking paint job! The chrome adds a nice touch!

Nice idea on the shock bleeders. Now I wish I would have thought about that before I ordered the HR bleeder caps. Noted for future shock builds!;-)

I'll have to check out that YT vid about the trans. I've been thinking about using the inverse top shaft.

Thank you young man. After I could get it through my head what I was trying to do it all came together nicely. If you go about 2/3 of the way through the comments a guy gave input that I used when installing the inverse shaft. "thumbsup"
On the bleeder caps I was going to use some old buggy shock bleeder caps and the kit cap mounts were to big. So I looked at the old cap and desided "I can do this". 8)

Stunning paint job Ernie, It’s really cool....and as per usual you are full of good ideas "thumbsup"

I am In for the inspiration!

Thanks smog, you are to kind to me. "thumbsup"

One of the other chassis lowering changes I did was switch mounting holes on the trail arm. I'm thinking with the gear changes I don't need the sway bar so that is my new mounting hole. Time will tell if I'm right. ;-)

Tires and wheels are VOODOO and Locked up.

I wanted the sliders to be wider than the Ecto body and the GateKeeper parts didn't fit the bill so I check out my fabbing boxes and found some composite material that will work. After a little bandsaw work and some brass 3mm threaded inserts they were mounted on the Gatekeeper sliders.

I wanted some static weight on the front and the SSD brass knuckles will work out for that need.

I think I will paint up a interior next, but that is all I have for now, "thumbsup"
Ernie

Last edited:
Back