• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Clearancing the VS410 rear axles

HumboldtEF

Tiny truck hoarder
Lifetime Gold Baby!
Last night I started to dig into building the axles on the VS410, the front went together very nicely. It was refreshing to build an axle and not have to disassemble shim test, disassemble shim test and so on, this one was flawless and smooth.

The rear on the other hand had one issue. I could see after chucking up the axles they are just a tiny bit out. When they are installed I was getting some binding. I took it apart multiple times to see where it was coming from and I eventually found that the tangs near the end are 7mm and the bore of the axle is 7mm so as the slightly out of true axle rotates it would rub up against the inside of the housing.

I sanded it a tiny bit last night and Its already smoother and I can no longer hear metal on metal rubbing.

EAJ61mKl.jpg

I plan to take a bit more material off because when weight is put on these they go back to rubbing (i can hear it).

Alternatively you could bore out the inside of the axle but I thought modding the axles might be better.

Oh and I dont know if this is a clue for anyone but this rear axle still had 4-5 little pieces of white plastic crammed into the end which I assume is to help provide support durring the machining process when they bore and thread the lockout mount holes.

I spent a bit more time today finishing these off. I ended up sanding .3mm off the tangs though they started to feel better with just .1mm or so removed. So I did likely remove more than necessary but I dont see it hurting anything.

Now they have no binding at all, nice and smooth like the front "thumbsup"

For those wondering how to do this grab a drill and chuck up the axle from the outer end and then sand with a sanding block or a fine file. Files remove the material faster so check with calipers as you go if you have them. If not just test fit with the bearing, you can hear when its rubbing metal on metal so feel it and listen.

I finished it off with a dab of rust converted on the raw steel in the hope that it wont rust plus I didn't want to add more material (paint).

Drilling out the axle housing instead is likely much easier but I didn't have a bit that was only a touch larger, all I had was a bit thats 1mm bigger.

Back