• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Chucks Hpi Venture

charlesd

Rock Stacker
My Venture RTR is going great.

I changed the links from the plastic ones to the Crawler Central links, changed to a 30kg servo, added Voodoo KLR tires on beadlock rims, changed to a Hobbywing 1080 and 12 turn motor with a 14 tooth pinion.

So far so good.

I did notice that my drive train is very noisy compared to my other trucks. I've only ran the truck for about 3 full hours on the hills so I guess it will smooth out.

I made some wheel wells and my own styrene jack.

50209743101_4e4f83be53_h.jpg
[/url]FJ CRUISER by Charles Daniel, on Flickr[/IMG]

50209744671_77719709cc_h.jpg
[/url]FJ CRUISER by Charles Daniel, on Flickr[/IMG]

I did notice that my drive train is very noisy compared to my other trucks. I've only ran the truck for about 3 full hours on the hills so I guess it will smooth out.

I think part of the noise will be the metal on metal gears, that alone is always louder.

I picked up a few sets of transfer case gears and one housing for some scratch builds. Turned out to have a really bad mesh and no matter what I did even the 2nd set of gears was no better. I dont remember my kit being this way.

I also had a clicking sound as if the gears were jumping. I took the transmission apart and found that one of the slipper clutch plats was not aligned correctly.

Hopefully that was the only problem. I put it back together, added grease and it's just as noisy but no clicking. I think the metal on metal spur gear is my noise maker. I'll live with it.

A scale truck with scale size tires is a lot harder to drive. I really have to choose my lines.:)

I also had a clicking sound as if the gears were jumping. I took the transmission apart and found that one of the slipper clutch plats was not aligned correctly.

Hopefully that was the only problem. I put it back together, added grease and it's just as noisy but no clicking. I think the metal on metal spur gear is my noise maker. I'll live with it.

A scale truck with scale size tires is a lot harder to drive. I really have to choose my lines.:)

You might try loosening your pinion/spur mesh a little, I know if mine is too tight it makes quite a racket but when set just right it's one of my quieter rigs.

Hi,
Ok I'll try that. I used a piece of paper between the pinion and main gear.

Is there a better way to get the correct mesh?

I wouldnt say better, just different. I use my eye and feel. I also like to check mesh all the way around as most spur gears have some run out (wobble). I find the tightest point and set the mesh in that spot.

Hi,
Ok I'll try that. I used a piece of paper between the pinion and main gear.

Is there a better way to get the correct mesh?

I've found that I tend to a bit heavy handed when setting mesh and a the paper method has never been quite enough for me. I fold the paper a couple times so it's at least 2 or even 3 layers thick and then when my meat hooks twist the pinion into place with more force than I should use, the mesh turns out about perfect.

I found what my problem was. The pinion I had stated 48p.... it was not:roll:

I switched back to the original pinion and it's butter smooth.

Looks like quite the desert trek.

Surprised you can keep a 12t motor cool in that environment given the Ventures lack of total gear reduction.
You run it on 2s or 3s?

Fooled me. Looks like you could easily get lost out there.

Thats one heck of a sandpit. Makes the largest ones up here look like a kids sandbox in comparison.

Back