• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Cheap low-speed sealed-can throw-away crawling motor possibility

StomperCrawler

RCC Addict
I just picked up 3 of these $3.89 (shipped, 99.9%+ feedback in 6k+ items seller) on eBay and won't see them for a while but I thought maybe others would like to try them (or have tried them) and chime in regarding their experience:"This unit features 5 pole construction for higher torque and power efficiency, anisotropic magnets, and coil specs of 55 turns of 32mm wire."

Motor Data:

• Manufacturer: Mabuchi
  • Model Number: RS-555PH-3225
  • Speed@rated Torque: 3950 RPM
  • Voltage: 9 to 30 VDC
  • Nominal Voltage: 12VDC constant
  • Motor Size: 1-7/16" (36.5mm) dia x 2-5/8" (66.7mm) long
  • Shaft Size: 1/4 flatted shaft 1/8” (3.175mm) Diameter 1/2" (12.7mm) long
  • Motor Connection: 3/16" (4.76mm) push on terminals
  • No load speed: 5500RPM
  • Torque@Rated Speed: 380.3 gm-cm
  • Stall Torque: 1360 gm-cm
  • Features: "wrap around" magnetic shield, 3mm mounting holes on the face
I'll try and write up a review once I've received & tested them.

Last edited:
It should suffice as a "stock" replacement but you wont have it last too long. I bought 3 a few years ago and all 3 lasted a total of about 2 months of weekend bashing. No water or mud was involved in the bashing as the rig wasn't waterproofed. They work good for the price but don't expect longevity or a ton of stump pulling torque..

Were they cleaned and lubed after each run?

It does not really matter. They are non re buildable and use totally different type of brushes. If you tore it down and looked at any other rebuildable motor you would see the many differences and problems they pose. Those motors will basically have no drag brake due to type of brushes and lack of springs, then there the fact they have no bearings....... None of two of those motors act the same...... Always short lived.even a cheap integy lathe motor is an upgrade over those types of motors. Also why run a 55 turn at that? 35 turn and lower is where you want to be. 55 is too too slow.

Those motors have some applications, but an rc crawler is not one of them. A decent motor can be had for about $36. One that can, and was meant to be serviced. Even if they were free, the hassle of swapping them when they burn out makes them no where near a bargain.

I'm getting some just for the kids to bomb around the back yard.
A Traxxas Slash doesn't need to do 20mph in a small space.
This are like 463kv motors.

I'm getting some just for the kids to bomb around the back yard.
A Traxxas Slash doesn't need to do 20mph in a small space.
This are like 463kv motors.

Do you think the kids will enjoy having to wait for you to change the motor for them? Why not just replace with a standard traxxas sealed can? Ebay and they are cheap enough, and will last more than a battery or two.

I carried that motor for a while. Painfully slow, even on 6s lipo. Not enough power to really use on anything less than 6s either.

Most brushed motor manufacturers list slots as poles. Technically it is the stator pole count, just the opposite part compared to a slot.

Even if they were free, the hassle of swapping them when they burn out makes them no where near a bargain.

I guess I'm an odd duck then since I like to pull my motors after trailing, clean and lube them. I don't have funds for no $35 motor; sorry.

5-pole magnets? Wow, Mabuchi has invented monopoles!

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Nevermind, I misunderstood what the seller was describing. It's not a 5-pole motor (which would be impossible -- magnets always have an even number of poles), it's a 4-pole motor, just like all brushed motors -- a north pole and a south pole on each side of the can. The number 5 refers to the number of armature windings -- instead of having 3 armature windings, it has 5.

Back