• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition Running Video

K.O.M.

Quarry Creeper
It's been years since I've been in this forum, but I had this video floating around of my CC-01 FJ Cruiser Black Edition that I thought was actually worth watching.

Not 100% stock, here's the list of things I have on the rig:
-RC4WD 4:1 GRU
-Tamiya M-Special Motor (short can, 3-slot motor, paired with the GRU, means no hacking of the chassis, very clean install)
-G-Made front bumper and side sliders
-1132 Design (my own hobby 3D printing/design company) Zero Ackerman 3D printed steering knuckle

Hoping to make a comeback to the R/C hobby and see if I can start making more functional 3D printed parts for us in the future.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SrFq934Djyk" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
It looks really great! I'm happy so see videos of this old classic.

Edit: The Tamiya tires are too slick and hard. With some new proper crawler tires it's up to par.

It looks really great! I'm happy so see videos of this old classic.

Edit: The Tamiya tires are too slick and hard. With some new proper crawler tires it's up to par.
Yes, I agree, the tires are terrible. I have kept the tires on for the time being as I am refining the design of the zero-ackerman steering knuckles.

Not 100% stock, here's the list of things I have on the rig:
-RC4WD 4:1 GRU
-Tamiya M-Special Motor (short can, 3-slot motor, paired with the GRU, means no hacking of the chassis, very clean install)

I use the same motor, scored 3 of them years ago. Run them with a 3:1 planetary reduction - absolutely perfect for a CC01 chassis. "thumbsup"

I'm hoping to wear one out eventually and send it off to JRH for a rebuild and some zapping if he still does it.....though so far they've never given me a problem. Surprised no one has come out with anything similar over the years.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm recently getting back into the RC hobby, and reminiscing about all the cool trucks I used to have, including a Tamiya CC-01 VW Touareg! While today's trail trucks are far more refined than the cars of yesteryear, I always enjoyed the kit aspect of the hobby, and Tamiya kits are(or were) so great! It would be fun to try to build a cc-01 to be a competent modern trail truck.

I use the same motor, scored 3 of them years ago. Run them with a 3:1 planetary reduction - absolutely perfect for a CC01 chassis. "thumbsup"

I'm hoping to wear one out eventually and send it off to JRH for a rebuild and some zapping if he still does it.....though so far they've never given me a problem. Surprised no one has come out with anything similar over the years.

Just want to get back to the short motor thing we have here. I also have 3 of them myself, 1 I've been rotating between various vehicles-an MF-01X, DF-01, and the CC-01-the other 2 are still in the package:lmao:. I use the 4:1 reduction, and it's slow--if you run into a momentum section, like a sandy uphill, then you are picking her up.

I was thinking of getting the new Holmes Revolver Snubnose with a 3:1 reduction and 3S to get the best of both worlds. Seems like a good, bolt-on fix that is available to everyone without having to hack up the chassis.

What are your thoughts?

Just want to get back to the short motor thing we have here. I also have 3 of them myself, 1 I've been rotating between various vehicles-an MF-01X, DF-01, and the CC-01-the other 2 are still in the package:lmao:. I use the 4:1 reduction, and it's slow--if you run into a momentum section, like a sandy uphill, then you are picking her up.

I was thinking of getting the new Holmes Revolver Snubnose with a 3:1 reduction and 3S to get the best of both worlds. Seems like a good, bolt-on fix that is available to everyone without having to hack up the chassis.

What are your thoughts?

I run 3:1 and it's pretty much perfect for my CC01's on 2S - just enough speed and plenty of low end resolution. 2:1 was a little speedy still, and 4:1 was just as you said - slow, slow, slow. On a side note, I run the Xtraspeed planetary GRU - far, far stronger than RC4WD's multiple varieties by the way. Mine's much quieter than RC4WD's too.

I've also run a Holmes outrunner in both my CC01 and my 6x6 since the characteristics of it work well in higher geared vehicles. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a totally different motor, don't even think you'll need the GRU's, or at most a 2:1. While the mini Acto makes a lot of RPM that the GRU then gears down for torque, the outrunner does the exact opposite - loads of torque and not much RPM. Bumping the volts gets you some of the RPM back and insane torque.

I think it's a win! I ran mine a while ago with a few generations old motor/no GRU and it fit fine. The snubnose or team Revolvers should fit perfect with or without a GRU.

Back