• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Capo CUB1 1/18 full metal Defender kit

donaldsneffe

Rock Crawler
Hi all,
I made a rather crazy purchase recently, I bought the super expensive new 1/18 crawler by Capo, the CUB1.

1041809-capocub-transparent-png

I know it is probably much too expensive, but the few videos out looked that cool, full metal, metal body, 2-speed, lock/unlock diffs...

I finally bought it from Stirlingkit, my first purchase there. Everything turned out perfectly, free shipping, shipment arrived in 1 week (to EU).

I will do a video build series and also post some pictures in the forums.

I used a 10% off code on Stirlingkit website, so the CUB1 "only" cost me the number of the beast US$ including shipping. This code works with all products on Stirlingkit website, code 10-OFF-STIRLINGKIT - you will find it also in the description of my Capo CUB1 YT-videos.

The CUB1 does not come with any electronics.
There are electronics available especially for the CUB1, but I did not purchase those. I intend to use my own stuff, I will see how this will work.
Motor and ESC are only available in a pack for 80 US$. Few running videos of the CUB1 are out so far, and motor/ESC combo does not sound really good to me. I will not use this ESC for sure, do have better ones. But the motor could be a problem. It is a brushed motor, but with a strange front part, probably a reduction gearbox, looks like a part of a small brushless inrunner motor.
I discussed this with Stirlingkit shop before purchase, and they said, I should try a 130 or 180 motor first, maybe I would have to make mounting holes into the gearbox, and if this will not work I could still decide to buy this special motor.
My concern is the gearing of this strange motor, the reduction gearbox (?), there is no detailed information about this motor out so far.

There are also special Power HD 1810MG servos available for the CUB1, for 36 $ each, but I think, I do have other servos here that could fit, I will see.

And then there is a strange 850 mAh 2s Lipo available, including USB (!!!) charger, for 47 US - no way I will buy this battery ;)

The Capo CUB1 does not come with a printed manual, you'll get 2 videos on USB for instructions, one for the chassis build, and the other for the body; furthermore there are some graphics of axles in explosion view and for wiring.

I could not find those videos online so far, but also do not dare to upload those on my YT channel, they are not mine ;)

So far I did only the unboxing.

The build quality looks absolutely stunning so far.

Every part of the chassis full metal, there seems to be not a single piece of plastic, only some rubber o-rings for the shafts.
Full metal body comes with detailed interior and accesories, which are plastic and do come on part trees.

The full metal body looks awesome, fantastic. It is not painted, but the colour is exactly "gun metal" (Vallejo).
Still not sure if I will paint the body or not.

Nice 1.0 metal beadlock wheels, tires look nice, but are not the best for sure; RC4WD 1.0 tires will fit.
Shocks look and feel absolutely awesome, axles too, ... everything.

I did only make an unboxing video so far and took few pictures. I will also upload two pictures of the axles in exploded view here, which are from the USB flash drive delivered with the kit.

I will update this thread regularly and report the building process.

Here now the unboxing video and some pics:

For quite some time now I am not able to inbed any YT videos into posts anymore???
UNBOXING VIDEO:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX5wYIVDSII

1041503-pasted-from-clipboard-png

1041504-pasted-from-clipboard-png

1041505-pasted-from-clipboard-png

1041506-pasted-from-clipboard-png

1041507-pasted-from-clipboard-png

1041515-pasted-from-clipboard-png

Walter

Last edited:
It looks cool, and full metal so and so forth sounds cool, but I want to know how it wheels.

Back