• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Buying a used yeti in 2023.

Hanshotfirst

Pebble Pounder
Good idea? Bad idea? I see that the aftermarket support for the yeti is far better than a rock rey, but what about hard to find parts? What would be hard to find if things break. I seem to find I’ve been talking myself out of a hammer rey to build a u4 kind of car. Would the yeti still be a decent one to get? Or would a newer rock rey be a good choice?

i havent had any trouble getting parts for mine just keep in mind its not a great performer its kinda a compromize between a crawler and a go fast so it dosent do ether well
dosent mean it cant be overcome but its still gona be a compromise however as a u4 car it might work out just dont exspect it to work out of the box
i streached mine by about 6 inches and it helped alot i also fliped the front a arms for more clearance under the belly pan and a sway bar never hurt but other than cosmetics a 1/6 newbright raptor body thats about all i did to it

the yeti xl is one hell of a rock bouncer almost as good as the full sized buggies ive seen them fly over bolders twice there size like it was on flat ground almost as fast as the full size rigs on the full sized rock trails it wont go up the back door i tryed but thats one hell of a waterfall
the biggest issue with the yxl is keeping it in one peice

Parts support isn't that great...there's a 1/16, 1/10, and 1/8 version so it may seem like a lot of parts, but once you break it down, not so much. Key stuff like CVD's, diff outputs, etc - they are drying up pretty quickly. I like my Yeti, I never loved it though. It's not a great handler and frankly a bit fragile as a go-fast, and not a great crawler without some serious mods. The Rock Rey is hands down the better high speed handler. I'd honestly go with the Rock Rey at this point since it shares a lot or parts with current models.

OR Hammer Rey of course - very, very nice. Lasernut is pretty sweet too.

I'm decommissioning my Yeti and the guts are going into a Ryft.

Like said, it doesn't do any one thing well and it's time has come and gone. RIP.

I like my Yeti SCT but I would also say no. There are certain parts that just arent available and the aftermarket is basically done making anything new, all you'll find is whats already been made/stocked on shelves.

Last year I was trying to track down spare parts which dont exist which lead me to look into getting a used rig for parts which is pretty stupid. I know I would have just turned the parts car into a runner in the end anyway lol.

I like my Yeti SCT but I would also say no. There are certain parts that just arent available and the aftermarket is basically done making anything new, all you'll find is whats already been made/stocked on shelves.

Last year I was trying to track down spare parts which dont exist which lead me to look into getting a used rig for parts which is pretty stupid. I know I would have just turned the parts car into a runner in the end anyway lol.
just wondering what parts your having a hard time getting

If you found a used, RTR Yeti for $150-$200 that would be worth buying. But I still see people asking $300-500 for them, which is not at all worth it.

Between a Yeti and a Rock Rey, I'd vote the Rey. I owned 3 Yetis, and one of them I set up just for crawling. None of them ever did anything well. There's also a lot of weak points on a Yeti that have to be sorted out before you'd have a reliable U4 rig.

I'm not sure the aftermarket will support you sorting those weak points out anymore.

Maybe someone who owns a Rock Rey can chime in?

Thanks for the responses guys. Has given me some good food for thought. I may look more into a rock rey if many of the parts are interchangeable between the Rey’s. I wonder if the vitavon centre diff lock for the hammer rey would work on the rock rey?

Back