• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Builders kit for my kid

BrickBait

Hi guys.. my kid have been saving up for some time and now he wants to buy he's first truck kit and build it from scratch.

So my question is...
Is the latest Element Trail Truck Builders Kit 2 a good choice these days? I got some upgrades sitting idle from my own builders kit project (the first element kit released), so it would be a big plus if he could use some of them. Is the first and the latest kit parts compatible with each other's? Like SSD Diamond axle housings and shock towers etc etc.

Cheers

Yes - the Builder Kit 2 would be able to use basically all upgrades - although it already has several of them included out of the box.

Besides the various IFS versions (Knightrunner/Trailrunner) nearly everything is the same for every Element EXCEPT the Sendero Sport Edition.

The Gatekeeper and Ecto have a longer wheelbase and different rear shock hoops, and lower trailing arms - but still the rest is nearly identical.

The Bushido is just a shorter wheelbase.

If you can find a Gatekeeper Builders kit - you actually get quite a bit for your money, it has the upgrades of the Builders Kit v2 AND a longer wheelbase, different rear shock hoops, lower trailing arms.

The Ecto body will drop right on it, making for a great rig for very little money.

I'd avoid the Sendero Sport Edition - it has many different parts, and no real upgrades available (yet?)...

Thanks for a good reply.

So difference between Gatekeeper and regular kit is longer wheelbase, trailing arms and different shock hoops. Does that translate into a better truck with those differences or just a matter of taste? Personally I am all for the looks of the regular kit, but maybe my son would like the other setup better :)

If you're planning on more crawling than trailing, the Builder's kit is a far better choice than the Gatekeeper (or Ecto) because you would end up 4-linking the rear anyway.
I've built 3 rigs off of Gatekeeper kits (because they kept selling them so cheap) and there isn't a single trailing arm in my entire fleet. Same for the Gatekeeper's cage-on-rails, which makes it both top-heavy and overly long.
So whey did I use three of them? Cheap, and the Builder's Kit was out-of-stock for MONTHS.

When we go out together, it's primarely in the woods. Good trail options around here. But at this moment it might be a done deal on the Enduro. He already has plans for some treal alu axle housings. I tried to convince him to go Beef tubes instead šŸ˜‚

After some aftermarket parts searching, its clear it will be the Builders Kit.

But is it worth it?
There are plans to upgrade just about everything.
Chassis rails, shocks and floor boards will be used.
Battery tray and reciever box might be also.
Gearbox could be replaced by the new SS F6 transmission.
Chassis bracing, gearbox mount, all parts connecting to shocks replaced with alu and brass.
And axle housings changed to Beeftubes or Treal alu, with upgraded Chups and knuckles.
And of course some HD center driveshafts from either MIP or BoomRacing "thumbsup"

So it might be a waste of money in the end when the plans are to trick it out this much?

Hi,

I have gone this way and just calculated the cost. In the end, when you add everything, I'm not sure I made the best choice.
I purchased a BK v.1 at a friendly price ( around 200 USD), but when you add the potential hop ups, the body, the wheels, this comes higher than what I expected.
However, the transmission, the shocks are very good. It's a nice kit to build and it surely will be great on the rocks or on the trails, but I guess there could be some wiser choice today. The Vanquish Phoenix as a versatile truck, the Axial scx 10 Pro if you want a LCG setup, and there are a lot of good trail trucks out there.

And I wonder if Element won't bring a new truck soon.

sounds like hes gona end up with 2 rigs after all those new upgrades you will just about have enuff parts for a second rig
or you could save money and scratch build one
for exsample i built a 10.2 i call it a gen7 cause it has the redcat body and tires lol
but it was built with all metal everything and came in just a hair over what a stock rtr gen7 or scx10.2 deadbold would have cost and it already has every upgrade i want
since you have one already its alot easyer to build one from scratch

Last edited:
Back