• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Bodies and frames

jfalesi

Hi guys. I'm really interested in the 11.3" wheelbase RC4WD Blazer body, but I'm also really interested in the Traxxas TRX-4 frame. From my research, it doesn't seem like the Blazer will drop on the frame without some serious mods. So I'm considering using the SCX-10 ii chassis instead, since Axial has an 11.4" conversion kit. I've seen some builds using this combination, so I think it's pretty do-able.

I also have the Tamiya Tundra High-Lift with the MFC-02 light/sound kit. I love the body, but have been pretty disappointed in the performance of the chassis. All the mods required to get this chassis up to par don't seem to be worth it, especially since I'd have to lose some of the MFC-02 gear. So I'm wondering if the Tamiya Tundra body would be a good fit for the TRX-4 chassis. The wheelbase is good (both are 12.4"), but I'm not sure about the width - the TRX-4 track is 9.78" but the Tundra body is only about 8" wide. I haven't been able to find anyone who is doing this particular combination.

In short, do these combinations sound reasonable:

1) RC4WD Blazer on SCX-10 ii chassis
2) Tamya Tundra body on TRX-4 chassis

Thanks!
-Jamie

Can't comment on 1); but for 2)...
The TRX-4 seems to be a very wide chassis compared to most. At a minimum, you're going to have to lose (or very seriously trim) the inner fenders to fit that Tundra body on there. That said, I've seen a few people put the 7.8" Proline 4Runner body onto a trx-4, so if the Tundra is a full 8 you should be fine.

The trx-4 sport is 12.3 wheelbase all other trx-4 models are 12.8 wheelbase. The sport would be best choice for the tundra body

The tundra body is only 7" wide. It could work but it would require moving the receiver box and the esc. Fenders would need massive trimming or removal. Or like hillbillyrc said use the sport. It doesn't have fenders. The tundra works pretty decently with the scx10 ii chassis but has the same issue as tires will be much wider than the body. If you don't mind not having the tires tuck under the fenders it may be the easier solution on either platform than the blazer.
The blazer is much wider at 8.78" but a lot shorter wheelbase at 11.3". I chose to turn the blazer into a pickup and made it 12.3" like LSXGMC's Bob which is awesome. It was lot of work though and is a really heavy body. Like 2 lbs with the interior. Tire tuck is possible on the scx10 ii but requires pretty narrow wheels and offset to get the body low.
Hope this helps.

I’ve mounted two Blazer bodies onto SCX10-II chassis, with the caveat that mine were both converted to K10 pickup trucks.

The best combination is using GCM Racing’s scale transmission conversion kit with either leaf springs out back or a rear cantilever setup. You’ll want the body to sit as low as you can to reduce COG issues and these mods will help with that.

You can cut holes in the bed for the shock towers to sit thru and cut some sections out for the transmission if you’re on a budget.

I’ve mounted two Blazer bodies onto SCX10-II chassis, with the caveat that mine were both converted to K10 pickup trucks.

The best combination is using GCM Racing’s scale transmission conversion kit with either leaf springs out back or a rear cantilever setup. You’ll want the body to sit as low as you can to reduce COG issues and these mods will help with that.

You can cut holes in the bed for the shock towers to sit thru and cut some sections out for the transmission if you’re on a budget.

Wow, that's a nice transmission kit. As nice as the Blazer body is, I'd probably cut it rather than mod the chassis. Maybe in the future I'll build an "uncut" version with the GCM kit. I'm partial to the looks of the Blazer over the K10, but that MOD19RC kit is nice. It's good to have options.

Actually, I have a 1:1 1971 Suburban - maybe I'll build a LWB Suburban for the TRX-4 chassis. I'll have to check the dimensions.

If you want a Blazer body on a TRX4 you might try to locate a Vaterra Ascender K5 body. It is nearly a perfect fit. This is my #2 TRX4 with the Vaterra K5 body. This body has recently been discontinued so if this is something you are interested in you need to buy one quick before they are all gone.

29355245_1807888845939930_5413170553410632768_o.jpg

Last edited:
If you want a Blazer body on a TRX4 you might try to locate a Vaterra Ascender K5 body. It is a nearly perfect fit. This is my #2 TRX4 with the Vaterra K5 body. This body has recently been discontinued so if this is something you are interested in you need to buy one quick before they are all gone.

That's pretty sweet but I'm kinda obsessed with the RC4WD Blazer. I almost bought a Vaterra Blazer when they came out though.

The tundra body is only 7" wide. It could work but it would require moving the receiver box and the esc. Fenders would need massive trimming or removal. Or like hillbillyrc said use the sport. It doesn't have fenders. The tundra works pretty decently with the scx10 ii chassis but has the same issue as tires will be much wider than the body. If you don't mind not having the tires tuck under the fenders it may be the easier solution on either platform than the blazer.
The blazer is much wider at 8.78" but a lot shorter wheelbase at 11.3". I chose to turn the blazer into a pickup and made it 12.3" like LSXGMC's Bob which is awesome. It was lot of work though and is a really heavy body. Like 2 lbs with the interior. Tire tuck is possible on the scx10 ii but requires pretty narrow wheels and offset to get the body low.
Hope this helps.

Yeah you're right - I just re-measured the Tundra and it's maybe a hair over 7" wide. I'm getting a TRX-4 on Wednesday so I'll see if I can make it fit. I'll post pics.

Here's my Tundra on its high-lift chassis in mid-rebuild.

Attachments

• 2018-07-07 18.20.14.jpg
    2018-07-07 18.20.14.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 714
Test-fit of the Tundra on the TRX-4. Not nearly enough clearance in the front wheel wells with the stock TRX-4 tires. They are 4.75" diameter, as opposed to the high-lift's stock 3.75. Thinking of going with 1.7 wheels with maybe 4.2 inch tires. There's so much articulation and turning radius in this chassis that even the 3.75" tires grab the fender!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180713_020411.jpg
    IMG_20180713_020411.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 671
  • IMG_20180713_020453.jpg
    IMG_20180713_020453.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_20180713_020507.jpg
    IMG_20180713_020507.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 667
Back