• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Bit of 3D printed fun - portals with underdrive

Hello from a long time listner first time caller,

I picked up a new (to me) FTX Mini 3.0 / RGT Adventurer v2. I realised straight away that what I should've bought is an SCX24, as the parts / community support is massive.

Anyhoooo, as the mod potential without DIY was low, I set about designing my own parts - I'm just that kind of guy

So fully 3d printed portal axles with underdrive it is then. Underdrive (rear) ratio is about -20%

uK0IBMMl.jpg

Pictured is the smallest reliable prototype of these axles.

Design considerations were:

- reliable gear mesh (so herringbone)
- fully printed (torque load is low in 1/24)
- must be essentially "bolt-on" replacements for current wheels so:
(1) gears at least 5mm thick to accomodate stock 7mm hex axles
(2) must accomodate stock steel axle length without fouling tyre
(3) no cutting etc of standard components

- must be as small as can be reliable

Here they are partly disassembled
41w650Sl.jpg

Consequences of this mod:
- track is wider than wheelbase!
- springs are softer with more articulation due to leverage
- portals themselves are chonky, so may hang up?
- 14mm lift raises CoG
- slight cheating with "bolt-on" requirement - to use underdrive a smaller gear that fits directly to the axle has to be used, instead of the stock 7mm hex (which has to be removed)

I hope you like this little adventure in printing - happy to hear comments and questions below

Last edited:
Back