• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Battery Charging Amps

food2000

Pebble Pounder
Hello,

I've done a a little research but i'd like to charge my little batteries with my big charger (icharger x8) and the lowest setting i can charge at is .05 amps.

Per my bit of reading i am seeing 1C is the safest which both my scx24 batteries are 350 mah and i bought a venom 430mah at 30c.

Hobby store guy mentioned he had a batter poof up at .05 amps.

Am i okay buying a jst ph2.0 female plug, soldering adaptors (deans) and charging at .05amps?

any insight would be great.

The factory charger that comes with the SCX24 charges at a higher than 1C rate like most RTR USB chargers do. You'll be fine charging at .5 that's literally just half of one amp. If he hurt a stock 350mah lipo, I doubt it was because it was charging at .5

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Your charger goes down to .05A? That is a 50mA rate. Your small battery should be very happy up to 350mA rate (.35A)

.35A is 1C for the stock battery
1C is charging the battery at an hourly rate equal to the capacity of the battery.
1C is typically considered the 'safe' charging rate that causes minimal degradation of the battery capacity.
Can you charge at higher rates? Yes. But higher rates are harder on the battery and reduce the battery capacity quicker than the safe 1C charge rate.
Many newer batteries is OK with higher rates. But I suspect that even with these, you will retain more capacity longer if you keep the rate at 1C.

.35A is 1C for the stock battery
1C is charging the battery at an hourly rate equal to the capacity of the battery.
1C is typically considered the 'safe' charging rate that causes minimal degradation of the battery capacity.
Can you charge at higher rates? Yes. But higher rates are harder on the battery and reduce the battery capacity quicker than the safe 1C charge rate.
Many newer batteries is OK with higher rates. But I suspect that even with these, you will retain more capacity longer if you keep the rate at 1C.

Awesome, makes sense.

thanks for the answer :)

Back