• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Backing gun metal with black

toys222

Pebble Pounder
I'm planning a two tone paint scheme that will use Tamiya PS-23 Gun Metal and Tamiya PS-5 Black. They are both dark tones and I planned to paint the black last and as a final coat. Will the black backing affect the gun metal? Maybe I should paint the black first? Thanks!

I'm planning a two tone paint scheme that will use Tamiya PS-23 Gun Metal and Tamiya PS-5 Black. They are both dark tones and I planned to paint the black last and as a final coat. Will the black backing affect the gun metal? Maybe I should paint the black first? Thanks!

The backing color will always have and effect on the end result. Black will darken it up and white will give it a lighter final product. With a black backing it may end up so close you can hardly tell its 2 colors.

Consider backing the gunmetal with white or silver then following up with the black backing.

Another thing to consider is how many coats the initial gunmetal will get. The more coats there is the less of an effect the backing color will have so If you want the gunmetal to be lighter (by backing with white or silver) you could try for less coats. Just make sure if you go for less coats that it is consistent or you may end up with a splotchy final product.

Shoot dark colors first. I generally shoot a test panel, tape the stripes and back with , Black, silver, white. Let dry and see your 3 tones. It can be subtle, but take away from the metallic look . In Styrene Tamiya has both dark and light gunmetal, you can get a lot of tones of looking for them.
Test panels tell you what you want.

Hang up and Drive

Thanks for the feedback! I'm now rethinking my color scheme. I got in a hurry and ordered gun metal and didn't realize Tamiya also makes bright gun metal. Still thinking things through here. May end up with 3 colors when it's all said and done.

The best paint jobs usually come from taking your time, good luck!

EDIT: I had to go back and double check but I used the PS-23 on my Ascender and backed it with black, I think the cap makes it seem a lot closer to black than it really is. Sorry I didn't catch that earlier.

e5ao36hl.jpg

RIvhLIkl.jpg

Last edited:
The best paint jobs usually come from taking your time, good luck!

EDIT: I had to go back and double check but I used the PS-23 on my Ascender and backed it with black, I think the cap makes it seem a lot closer to black than it really is. Sorry I didn't catch that earlier.

Thanks for the pics, that helps!

Back