• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

axle upgrade soon!

bowsher925

Hi I am still very new to the rc world and I am building my first crawler. I wanted to go with the aluminum axles at first until I was talked into using wraith axles. In what ways should I go about upgrading these axles so they are bombproof?

AR60's are a solid choice. As stated, alloy knuckles and C hubs are always a good idea. My personal recommendation is to get Vanquish pieces. They are more money than other brands but the C hubs fit better than axial or strc on the housings. Plus the knuckles have the option for steering arms on both sides so you have more options on how to run the tie rod and drag link to fit whatever setup you choose.

The stock ring & pinion will hold up to some abuse if you shim the pinion right and the stock lockers while they will get sloppy they will hold up pretty decently too. The front stock RTR type dog bone and cup axles are junk but a simple installation of axials universal shafts are the cure.

Only other recommendation would be some type of reinforcement tube for inside the axle. As well as to provide a decent threaded hole for the chubs and lockouts. The ar60's in stock form are definitely tougher than scx axles in stock form, but they are afterall both plastic.

I love the idea of the tubes inside the plastic axle housings. Is there a post or anything that shows someone that has done this? I will probably definatly be attempting this!

I love the idea of the tubes inside the plastic axle housings. Is there a post or anything that shows someone that has done this? I will probably definatly be attempting this!

Search "beef tubes"

What is the difference in lockers? I mean once its locked its locked right? sorry total nub

The stock lockers are made of soft metal so the harder axle shafts wear into them so they get sloppier as time goes on.

I haven't had any issues as of yet with the stock parts but I'm sure they won't live forever since they are already getting sloppy.

The stock lockers are made of soft metal so the harder axle shafts wear into them so they get sloppier as time goes on.

I haven't had any issues as of yet with the stock parts but I'm sure they won't live forever since they are already getting sloppy.
Pretty much this. It's not a necessity, but might save you time in the future. That's why I said MAYBE a aftermarket locker. I have the stock locker in my scx10 and it's still going strong after 3-ish years of use.

Back