• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Axial tire foams

SuperDutyScaler

Pebble Pounder
So I just finished my trx-4 builders kit. Had it out last weekend with a set of rc4wd XL 1.9 boggers. I finally received my adapters this week so I swapped in the real wheel/tire combo I'm gonna run. Went today for a memorial day run at a local place. THIS TRUCK SUCKS NOW
And no it's not the truck it's A) foams are too hard or B) these tires just SUCK

I have I believe medium or maybe hard lil nova in them right now from my old truck which was VERY heavy. This new sport is LIGHT so the tires don't squish they just make the truck hop.
I tried to find stock axial foams but I see they don't sell any?
So what's a good foams should get, we have a hugs spot that's natural south jersey rock and a ton of hand made burlap mountains covered in concrete.
Pics for the tires I'm running
6abb16814ee7679e233d19a01af03149.jpg
0bc41f764df983a30000536d3b2cef53.jpg
636282ce19e314935b6ebf7436233f23.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Axial Krawlers are average at best, even with Axial foams. Proline has a far superior version of the Krawler. It’s likely the RC4WD Boggers simply work better on your terrain. The best foams you will find are likely dual stage Crawler Innovation, but I don’t think I would bother spending the money on high end foams for those Axial tires. Just Take a cheap single stage, open cell foam and trim it to fit them and see how they perform with a softer foam. From there you can decide if The tire is worth spending money on

Smog thank you.
These axial krawlers are probably ten or even twelve year's old. I bought them new when gmade released the sawback leaf spring jeep. I've had them on that for years with the medium or firm foam, but my sawback was strictly a trail truck so the foams wereneeded to keep the sidewall from folding under during hill climbing and such.

And yes it seemed the rc4wd XL boggers worked WAY better than these axial krawlers. But the foams are also way too firm so the tires don't conform to any rock face I try to climb now.

I thought I had the stock foams somewhere for the axial tires but after going through all my parts bins I can ot seem to locate them

Smog thank you.
These axial krawlers are probably ten or even twelve year's old. I bought them new when gmade released the sawback leaf spring jeep. I've had them on that for years with the medium or firm foam, but my sawback was strictly a trail truck so the foams wereneeded to keep the sidewall from folding under during hill climbing and such.

And yes it seemed the rc4wd XL boggers worked WAY better than these axial krawlers. But the foams are also way too firm so the tires don't conform to any rock face I try to climb now.

I thought I had the stock foams somewhere for the axial tires but after going through all my parts bins I can ot seem to locate them

The RC4WD boggers have a really stiff sidewall, even with a soft foam they aren't the best tire at conforming to the terrain. Our set seems to have gotten better with age and use. My kid runs them on his Scx10ii religiously these days. If you feel for picking up a new tire you might look at the Proline XL line. They come in several tread patrerns. Krawler and Hyrax are likely the most well reviewed. I also find they are the best. Thsy come in two compounds. G8 is the best for all around performance. The Predator is ultra soft and tends to have an edge on the rocks.

Anyway, some thoughts. If I am bomarding you with unsolicited advice,.my apologies..lol

I have proline flat irons on my original scx10 truck.
On my scx10 dingo I'm running proline xl tsl's, problem is all my trucks are setup for trail driving. Just got into the rock crawling thing a few weeks ago

I have proline flat irons on my original scx10 truck.
On my scx10 dingo I'm running proline xl tsl's, problem is all my trucks are setup for trail driving. Just got into the rock crawling thing a few weeks ago

both the swampers and the flatirons are still considered good tires
the axial crawlers arent bad tires ether they just need the right combo of weight and terrain and inserts to work

exsample i have the dreaded axial r40 krewlers they have to be the worst tire axial has ever made but when used in combo with a vary heavy 1/8th scale rig with narrow wheels and no foams or inserts of any kind in the tire and when used on extremely ruff cheese grader rocks they work as good as any other tire

in the ops case im guessing the little novas are too big for the axial tire and being a single stage closed cell foam it wont have much give i bet you could turn down the foam some but it might be better to save those and get new ones the right size

personaly i dont like using foam so ill let everyone else recomend foams

a dingo wow i remeber when the dingos and deadbolts were the sherbert

Back