• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Axial SCX10 ii or Element Enduro kit as base for a class 2/3 crawler?

_TRX-4_

I already have a Traxxas TRX-4, with lockable diffs and 2 speed transmission. I want to get a 2nd crawler to drive around together with my son. I want to build a crawler that roughly fits in class 2 or 3. I don't want to run it in competitions. I don't want a 2nd TRX-4 unless portal axles are a must.

I will replace the kit chassis with a carbon LCG one, maybe a artful doger if they will be available again. I am from Europe so some US based chassis would have ridiculously high shipping costs.

I will use 4 channel Futaba T4PM to control it.

Some questions :

• Is the SCX10ii or Element is the better base? I like the Element transmission because of the over- under-drive options.
  • Are none portable axels okay or should I think about a TRX-4 sport kit or some China axels?
  • How hard/expensive is it to get 4 wheel steering?
  • Axel or chassis mounted front servo?

Last edited:
  • Is the SCX10ii or Element is the better base? I like the Element transmission because of the over- under-drive options.

Just my opinion

Element:
    Better transmission
    Better shocks
    Better links
    Better (universal joints) axle shafts

Axial:
    More popular
    More after market part options
    Less bulky axle housings/better ring and pinion design.

• Are none portable axels okay or should I think about a TRX-4 sport kit or some China axels?

• Personally I prefer non portal axles, i feel the added stability is more beneficial than the added ground clearance, and increased weight.

I’m far from competitive though, that’s just how I feel when I drive my rigs twice a year [emoji2359]
[/QUOTE]

Axle mount for better performance. Chassis mount for better looks.

Idk if it’s an option, but if i were in your shoes I would try to get a Phoenix straight axle kit, sell everything but the axles, driveshafts, shocks and links, and then piece together the other parts you want.

Otherwise, I would probably start with an element.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If I could get a Phoenix straight axle kit for like $400 in Europe it would be an option but we pay over $550 for it in Europe (when it's not sold out).

Since I would need a 2nd Enduro Enduro axle for rear steering, a Enduro kit plus two SCX10ii axles would be within what I am willing to spend.

Should I use 1.9 or 2.2 tires?

The Element transmission is killer for that feature alone, but the plastic gears could be an issue with serious torque.

Non-portals are great for general and serious crawling. The main advantages to portals are the mitigation of torque twist and ground clearance. I'm partial to straight axles myself.

• How hard/expensive is it to get 4 wheel steering?

Expensive, but not hard. Simply buy a second front axle with the steering links and associated axle shafts.

Personal preference, IMO. I find 4-link front setups to work well on some vehicles vs. others with 3-link. Mounting the servo on the axle creates stronger steering input, but the servo itself can get in the way with an LCG or stock height rig.

Find/Buy an Element Stealth transmission. Look up SSD RC, they are in UK, i believe. Pickup two complete Pro44 front axles, they are Axial compatible, but nicer. This is what I would/will do

im with smog given you are in the EU ... the whole Trail King is an excellent kit that can be later on adapted to a LCG flat rail since its SCX-10-II based. I own a king and is without a doubt great value and the fit and finish are superb.

element for me. 2.2 for a little more clearance. axle mount servo from extreme RC and a little brass up front.

Back