• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

axial motor esc problem

bigwig

Pebble Pounder
Hey, I have a Axial scx10 with a Axial 27t motor and an AE2 ESC with a sky RC BEC on 3S lipo. The other day I was driving my truck in the mud "slowly because it is not water proof" and then I started to smell a burning smell. I took off the body and the motor felt hot and the motor to the ESC wire plug had a burn mark on them, so I turned it off and put it away. Then yesterday it happened again in the snow. I took off the motor and blew on it with the compressor. Today it happened again and the ESC was hot as well. The motor wire was hot too. The gearing is stock and everything else is stock except for the GCM transfer case and steel transmission gears. Do I need a new motor or ESC? This has never happened before.

a brushed motor can be run submerged in water without issue.

But other e components that are not generally water proofed
nor even water resistant... will endure even less in that environment.
And can quickly succumb to moisture if that invades their circuit boards.

Snow is only frozen until it thaws...
and then it becomes water.

It's possible you had some moisture enter some e component
and create an electrical dead short.
And e components tend to emit some amount of warmth
that allows snow to melt and become water.

Not correcting the issue when it first occurred...
likely means continued attempts exacerbated the problem.

A burnt smell often designates a dead short or already fried e components.

So yeah... expect failure to occur if running where moisture can penetrate
or contaminate any e component.

hint:

a servo is usually the first to fry if it is not waterproofed sufficiently.
Realize, generally speaking,
that all the e components commonly connect to a central hub.
And electricity flows thru that.
If that hub were dead shorted... it can lead to other e component failures.

waterproof yer e components if you'll be playing in snow, mud and water.
It's not something difficult to do.

or just get used to the burnt acrid smell and wasted money used to purchase replacements.

I did waterproof the ESC but not the BEC, servo, or the receiver. Im pretty sure it is the ESC or the motor. The servo works fine.
All my electronics are in a screw container filled with silicone. The silicone does not cover the top of the electronics. The ESC is plastidipped and in the silicone. I know the ESC is water proofed because I submerged it in water before when all my electronics were water proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then check out the bec. Also the brushed mothers can fill with mud and other debree. This can cause heat and strain on electronics. You could have a hung brush.

An internal short on the wires coming from the battery or going to the motor is also a possibility i have had this issue first hand show up all of the sudden when i had my honcho there was no waterproofing done or wet conditions just some bad solder joints on the board both esc's were replaced by axial at no cost. But since you have coated yours warranty is out of the question in the future i wouldn't recommend using plastidip its not a very reliable method of waterproofing nor is silicone look into conformal coating personally i use 2 part epoxy on both my fxr's and their still going strong after 3 yrs and lots of moisture.

Then check out the bec. Also the brushed mothers can fill with mud and other debree. This can cause heat and strain on electronics. You could have a hung brush.

I dont think the motor is dirty I looked in it and blew on it with a compressor. It looked clean.

An internal short on the wires coming from the battery or going to the motor is also a possibility i have had this issue first hand show up all of the sudden when i had my honcho there was no waterproofing done or wet conditions just some bad solder joints on the board both esc's were replaced by axial at no cost. But since you have coated yours warranty is out of the question in the future i wouldn't recommend using plastidip its not a very reliable method of waterproofing nor is silicone look into conformal coating personally i use 2 part epoxy on both my fxr's and their still going strong after 3 yrs and lots of moisture.

Ok thanks. The motor wire was good. It might have melted some solder from the heat of the motor but I dont know.

I forgot I had plugged the BEC into the wrong channel so I fixed that. The ESC is not getting hot any more but the motor is and I still smell a burning smell. The red wire on the motor is melted a bit though. The motor doesn't work sometimes but when I push the motor plug in it works

Did the ESC get hot because the BEC was plugged into the wrong channel? And on 3S?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back