• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Axial Beef Tips Install

Hey guys, sorry if this is a stupid question but I can't seem to find any help anywhere else online cause apparently it was super easy for everyone lol. I have a set of Axial heavy weight beef tips to install on my rtr capra. Every resource I've found says to "simply unscrew the shock end, install, and rescrew shock end" I have my shock off the truck, with the spring and black plastic spring retainer removed from the shock. Now for the life of me I cannot seem to get the shock end (the little piece with the ball bearing that the screw goes through to attach to the axle) to unscrew. I first tried just grabbing the shaft with my pliers and unscrewing but I can't get enough tension to stop the shaft or the rest of the shock body from spinning when trying to break the thread and unscrew the end. Am I missing something? is there some trick to it? I've looked at the manual for my truck and it didnt help much. any help is appreciated

Your Capra has portals
The beef tubes could be for ar 44 axles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Tips not tubes! :)
Appreciate the response though! My dumbass figured it out...I was gripping the shock shaft with a paper towel in between the pliers to protect the finish but that was the whole reason I didn't have grip lol. Swapped the paper towel for some super fine sandpaper and i got the bastard right off

I see you've got it worked out but I'll just add that shock shaft pliers are super useful for tasks like this. Protec RC make a really nice one that can also install and remove the ball ends.
You'll likely find many other uses for these, I know I have.

Get yourself a nice set of shock pliers. I prefer the ones from ProTek, but there are plenty of options.

Sandpaper on a shock shaft isn't a good idea. You'll put micro scratches in the shaft which will tear the o-ring and this leads to a leaky shock.

For sure, I knew it was a risky move and was careful not to spin the shaft at all while holding it..wouldn't want to have to do it like that again if I had to but it worked lol. I'll look into some shock pliers for the future..thanks guys!

Sandpaper on a shock shaft isn't a good idea. You'll put micro scratches in the shaft which will tear the o-ring and this leads to a leaky shock.

Awe, c'mon Jato, I thought you were a moto guy?! Sanding your shock shafts (with very fine paper) and leaving a visible crosshatch will actually reduce seal stiction by allowing the crosshatch to retain the tiniest amount of oil (not enough to ever drip off or make a mess) which will help it glide past the seal without getting wiped dry or leaking. It actually has a greater affect than ti-ni or dlc coating as far as reducing stiction goes as instead of relying on the polished surface treatment, the shaft/seal ride on a fluid bearing of oil. That fine crosshatch will actually make seal last longer too. Skeptical? Just ask your partner if a lubed shaft is more or less likely to tear an o-ring :lmao:

A brief explanation/video showing what I'm talking about:
Microfinish — Kreft Moto

Now, I'm not suggesting we all run out and sand our shock shafts, just saying that it's not as harmful as one might think.

Awe, c'mon Jato, I thought you were a moto guy?! Sanding your shock shafts (with very fine paper) and leaving a visible crosshatch will actually reduce seal stiction by allowing the crosshatch to retain the tiniest amount of oil (not enough to ever drip off or make a mess) which will help it glide past the seal without getting wiped dry or leaking. It actually has a greater affect than ti-ni or dlc coating as far as reducing stiction goes as instead of relying on the polished surface treatment, the shaft/seal ride on a fluid bearing of oil. That fine crosshatch will actually make seal last longer too. Skeptical? Just ask your partner if a lubed shaft is more or less likely to tear an o-ring :lmao:

A brief explanation/video showing what I'm talking about:
Microfinish — Kreft Moto

Now, I'm not suggesting we all run out and sand our shock shafts, just saying that it's not as harmful as one might think.

Good luck getting a perfect crosshatch with just the right amount of depth with sandpaper! :ror:

Back