• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

AX-10 to XR-10 on a budget build thread... And more!!!

NMLJ

Pebble Pounder
I had two AX-10's set up for pro class for me and my 7 year old boy. Using the excuse that the rigs where holding us back (can't face the reality that it's our driving skills) I decided to get an XR. The MOA rigs just seem to have the upperhand against shaftys with their low center of gravity and front/rear dig capability. I justified the purchase to my better half by explaining to her that it would cost next to nothing:lmao: since I would be just transfering stuff from one of the old crawlers and selling the rest.

I kept my AX-10 with GC-3 chassis, Hitec 7954 servo, overdrive front gears, heavy duty front/rear lockers, white dot rovers, Vanquish knuckles and C's, and Tekin 35 turn motor and esc, and CC bec. I stripped off the Vanquish dig to help fund the XR and drop the AX to sportsman class for the boy. He misses the dig, but he will get over it and I already have.:flipoff:

The second AX that I parted out wasn't anything to brag about. Stock chassis with inboard lower links, Hitec7954 servo, white dot Rovers mounted on Vanquish pro comp wheels, Novak 45 turn motor, Sidewinder esc with a non functining drag break, CC bec, Aluminum knuckles and C's, 4 link servo/battery plate, and Vanquish dig. So here is the break down of the part out.....

(2) Vanquish digs with hitec 645 servos $120
Enough Alum links to set up 2 Ax-10's $50
4 link servo battery plate $15
(4) NiMH batterys that I quit using when I switched to 3 cell lipo $30
Spare Hitec 645 servo $20
Set of stock AX wheels $20
Sidewinder with non functioning drag break and wired in CC bec $50
Novak 45 turn motor $20
VF dig that came with second hand AX I bought $40

That put me at $365 and a left over Hitec 7945 servo, (3) 3 cell lipo batteries, Alum Vanquish wheels with Rovers, and an AX transmission and axles. So now it's time for expen$e$........

XR-10 from lhs $290
Traded used AX-10 transmission and axles plus $80 for Novak M-2 esc/dig and (2) 45 turn motors with skids.

So starting with a $390 credit and spent $370 of it to get my XR going.8)
I didnt go with a dual esc set up because I am reusing my DX3E transmitter and I thought I would give the used M-2 a shot. So far I dont hate it. I like the small footprint required to run it and all the pretty lights.:mrgreen:

So It took me about 8 hours to put the roller chassis together. And another 2 hours to do the wiring (most of that was spent with a blank look on my face while trying to figure out where to put/ route everything). I did a few small mods like notching the motor plate for easy removal and using old AX-10 bent lower links for my XR-10's upper links (same length for those of you that didnt know).

So specs of Stage one build are...
Super Stock XR-10
Spectrum DX3E transmitter/reciever
Novak 45 turn motors
Novak M-2 ESC/Dig
Hitec 7945 Steering Servo
3 cell lipo
Vanquish procomp wheels
White dot rover tires
utf-8BSU1HMDAyOTkuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDAuanBn-1.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDEuanBn.jpg

Cost thus far -$20

Last edited:
So before I ever made it outside with my new toy I broke it. I was doing full throttle front to rear wheel stands on my berber carpet and heard a snap.:cry:
utf-8BSU1HMDAyODYuanBn.jpg

Why yes, that is a blurry ass cell phone pic of my stripped rear axle final gear and idler gear! I went to the lhs and picked up factory gears. $25

I also placed in order in to Vanquish for a set of cases and plates $120 (gotta get that free shirt:lmao:). And since I already found the limits of the factory gears I ordered CKRC hardened steel gear sets and final gears. Once everything comes in I'm going to put the CKRC gears in the Vanquish cases. Then I will have the stock units for spares.

So here is the order I have coming from CKRC...
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 summary="Itemized listing of previous order, includes number ordered, items and prices" cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=accountQuantityDisplay>1 ea. </TD><TD class=accountProductDisplay>CKRC Aluminum Solid Steering Bar for the XR10 </TD><TD class=accountTotalDisplay>$4.99</TD></TR><TR><TD class=accountQuantityDisplay>1 ea. </TD><TD class=accountProductDisplay>Axa1391 Axial E4 E-Clip (10) </TD><TD class=accountTotalDisplay>$1.49</TD></TR><TR><TD class=accountQuantityDisplay>2 ea. </TD><TD class=accountProductDisplay>CKRC Aluminum Servo Protector for All 1/10 Servos </TD><TD class=accountTotalDisplay>$25.98</TD></TR><TR><TD class=accountQuantityDisplay>2 ea. </TD><TD class=accountProductDisplay>CNC Cut Hardened Steel Gear Set For The XR10 </TD><TD class=accountTotalDisplay>$79.98</TD></TR><TR><TD class=accountQuantityDisplay>2 ea. </TD><TD class=accountProductDisplay>CNC Cut Hardened Steel 36T Final Gear </TD><TD class=accountTotalDisplay>$41.98</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>
Cost thus far $304.50

Last edited:
Looking good so far."thumbsup" With the gears, VP motor plates and trannie housing, you should be pretty durable. The next mod you should think about is the straight steering link behind the axle. It will take alot of pressure off the servo and take out alot of play in the steering. Also a new arm out front will help that servo too.

Looking good so far."thumbsup" With the gears, VP motor plates and trannie housing, you should be pretty durable. The next mod you should think about is the straight steering link behind the axle. It will take alot of pressure off the servo and take out alot of play in the steering. Also a new arm out front will help that servo too.

Thanks.
Funny you should mention modifying the steering. Look what I did this afternoon.
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTEuanBn.jpg

I got a new case ordered and my servo protector I have in the mail should help too. What servo arm Should I be looking for to help with strength and throw?

Some of my parts came in. I got VP motor plates, VP transmission cases, solid steering links, Rowdy Racing battery mount, Hot Racing gears and final drive gears, and did some trading for blue VP chubs (waiting on knuckles to come in) and lock outs.

I'm waiting for the rest of my parts to come in before I can put her back together. The stock body would have had to been butchered to clear my battery now that it sits on top of the axle. So I ordered the Rock Hawk chassis topper from AB Designs. For the price of a lexan body I get a bodyless crawler. Cant beat that."thumbsup"

I also wanted to talk to you guys about the Hot Racing gears I got from CKRC. The front gear setup sounds nice and smooth. But the rear is a little rough and when I turn from foward to reverse I get a chatter. I have taken the transmission apart to look for damage, but cant visually see any. But it feels like some of the teeth are at differant heights when I run my fingers over them. I just added more lube and put it back together. Is there a break in factor for these gears that will smooth things out?

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTguanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTUuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTYuanBn.jpg

Back