• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Anybody make their own links?

If you really want solid links, go to your local hardware store, get some solid round stock, most use 1/4" aluminum (but you could use steel) and the tap size of choice (I use 8-32). Then you'll need rod ends (this may determine what size tap you use), I use revo rod ends. The PIA with this method is drilling the end of the rod and tapping it. The much easier way to make links is to use threaded rod and 1/4" brake tubing. Theres no drilling and taping to be done and I feel the metal tubing slides over rock with less resistance that aluminum.

i got to my local hydaulic line company and buy 1/4" stainless tube and 8/32 allthread fits perfectly in the middle with no slop. then just use revo rod ends. good luck!

Get 1/4" delrin with a pilot hole like Mcmasters sells. Drill out to 8/32" and tap the revo ends. Smooth sliding links. I have made tons of these and never broke one.

i used a tap and die set from home depot in 6/32 thread and ran some threads on some solid rod with dubro rod ends....

suspenionlinks001.jpg

steeringlink003.jpg

suspenionlinks002.jpg

the set of 5 tap/die's cost 25.00 bucks....a drop of oil before you begin and it goes as smooth as can be...............bob

I made up some homemade links using the 1/4 brakeline, 8/32 all thread and Traxxas #5525 ball ends. When I redid them to high clearance I used a heat gun, a block of wood, a hammer and my basement floor to bend them. Worked good for the time being.

Then this year I found out they werent even straight (which I knew anyways) and so I decided to straighten out my rig and ordered some SS/CF links through Xtreme RC Hobbies.

http://xtreme-rc-hobbies.net/store/index.php?cPath=58

Insanerc is his username on here and check out his vendor threads for deals and such. "thumbsup"

I just built a bunch of links using 5/16" steel brake tubing ( the pre-flared stuff) 8-32 all thread and Revo ends. These are bullit proof and aren't too heavy.

go to the tech section on the homepage theres an article there. i used some brass holloe tubing and 6/32 threaded rod and some traxxas end links form the lhs. the tubing and threaded rod came from a lowes.

I run 5/16" delrin rod....drill it....tap it to 3mm.....traxxas 1942 ends. I bend these for lower links in a set jig on my workbench....and leave them straight for other uses.

If you plan on comping it, I would definately go with 8-32 with Revo ends for sure, these have never failed me. I have broken countless 6-32 tmaxx rod ends

i got to my local hydaulic line company and buy 1/4" stainless tube and 8/32 allthread fits perfectly in the middle with no slop. then just use revo rod ends. good luck!

This is by far the most durable. The revo rod end will shatter before you ever bend the links.

A couple personal tips:
Cut the allthread with a dremel and file the threads clean. Its much easier to put the rod ends on.

You can use a dremel but i use a nice high quality tubing cutter to cut the tubes down, it makes your ends perfectly square and leaves a nice edge. Then use a drill bit to reopen the ends of the tubing.

You only need to leave 1/4 - 3/8 of the thread showing.

If you need bent lower links bend them with the allthread inside and they are brutally tough.

in my one picture i used the 3/16" brake line and taped it with 6/32 a 1/2" deep and used 6/32 thread rod 1" long with the rod end to make my steering links............bob

Like others, I only use revo rod ends and 8-32 allthread. I sleeve it with 1/4" brakeline (the allthread just fits inside). I cut the allthread with a Dremel cutoff and file the ends. If you don't do this, the burrs will rip up the rod end. For the rod ends, I just use an 8-32 tap. Being plastic, the tap cuts it like butter. As mentioned above, I also use a tube cutter instead of the dremel for cutting the brakeline to length. I then use a flat file to file off the end/open the hole.

For bent links, what I do place a length of 8-32 allthread inside the brakeline and then use my tubing bender to bend it to the desired angle (I think about 30 degrees). Then I cut the brakeline to the appropriate length on both the ends and finally cut off the allthread leaving about 1/2" sticking out of each end. Creates a bit more waste, but if you try and cut the link to the right length first and then bend it, the bend won't be in the right place 99% of the time, I guarantee it! Allthread and brakeline are cheap :D!

For heavy duty links I use 10-24 all thread. The Traxxas Revo or Jato rod ends can be tapped using a 10-24 tap. I get mine from Sears.

Cover the all thread with 1/4" Stainless steel tube and you've got some bullet proof links.

Stainless tubing. You can prolly find it cheaper elsewhere.

Revo smaller rod ends, Traxxas PN 5347

Jato bigger rod ends, Traxxas PN 5525

Attachments

• TeamRccSuper20080324 007 (Custom).jpg
    TeamRccSuper20080324 007 (Custom).jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,442
  • TeamRccSuper20080324 014 (Custom).jpg
    TeamRccSuper20080324 014 (Custom).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 3,784
Last edited:
Hey Grizz, those links look fierce! "thumbsup"" I may be changing my mind on my links now.

Hey Grizz, those links look fierce! "thumbsup"" I may be changing my mind on my links now.
They are wicked tough, don't need paint, and slide on rocks better than aluminum. "thumbsup"
I built them because I bent my steel brakeline ones.
Here's a pic of them on my super. Jato ends at the axle and Revo ends at the chassis.

Attachments

• 306_0621 (Small).JPG
    306_0621 (Small).JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 2,629
Back