• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Airbrushing hard bodies

captain howdy

Does anyone have experience in airbrushing hard bodies? I’ve always used Tamiya rattle cans but they’re getting too expensive and create a lot of waste. I have a bunch of Proline Airbrush paints laying around, and wondered if this would adhere.

ABS is a whole lot easier to paint than polycarbonate. You can paint ABS with anything you want, so long as you put down some type of primer/adhesion promoter first.
I can't speak to the Pro-Line paints, I refise to pay that kind of obscene markup. I've used multi-surface craft paints that are $1.50 a bottle with good results.

At the very least, just buy the Tamiya TS clear, decant it into a jar to use in your airbrush. Use this to seal/protect over what ever paint your use as your base color. Just do a test first to make sure the two paints don't have a reaction. Also, as DrI said, make sure you start with a primer first.

I used Createx paints with a little of their urathane mixed in for some indoor body painting. It was $25 for 6 bottles (primary colors) IIRC. Seemed to work well, it sprayed very nicely.

This is the basic blue
20210520-214013-SM.jpg

I appreciate the advice from all you guys! I will definitely try airbrushing my next rig, and I'll be sure to use some type of primer first. I'm assuming the Tamiya X series bottled paint can also be airbrushed? @OSRC that is a pretty sweet rig you have there, Createx definitely has a nice range of colors id like to try out.

Back