• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

airbrushes!

LJ802

Pebble Pounder
anybody have issues with clogging or cleaning their airbrushes to keep a steady flow? i've used there cleaner and steps through it all to try and make the best of it but still they clog and i don't have a good flow. i make it so the paint is a milky look and no air, i have the air filter thing on from the compressor and use it at around 15-20 psi. it all starts out good but the airbrush itself sucks to clean and even when i do i feel its not, any suggestions? may be a bad idea but recently just used clr to soak and clean and it worked for that session fine, then finished off with the airbrush cleaner after, but i fear the next time i goto use it it'll just clog up in the first few minutes or seconds like usual. need help! LOL
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cleaning the airbrush is just a part of the process...get used to it. While I haven't done airbrushing in several years, I did start something T-shirts about 30 years ago. If you're having a good problem, you might want to check your needle. If it's not PERFECTLY straight, you'll have a flow problem. Additionally, it could lead to paint particles getting stuck inside, which, once dry, can further affect flow. As for cleaning it, there are different ways...you just need to focus what works best for you.

On an unrelated note, you should reconsider using that Panda meme. That was taken from a commercial down in Las Vegas...a commercial for an attorney, no less. Put another way, that is copyrighted material, owned by Panda Law (also known as Peters and Associates). If they discover you, or anyone else you could have a lawsuit on your hands. I have family living in Vegas, and I've seen the commercials enough time to instantly recognize that one. Not trying to admonish you...just trying to be helpful, and prevent you from potentially having a lawsuit filled against you...especially where the pp plantiff would be a law firm.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

If you're using a glass jar type, be sure the vent hole in the cap is open. They'll clog sometimes and cause a vacuum as it tries to draw out the paint. Not sure what brand or style of airbrush you have, but I usually tear my paasche down and pull out the needle after each session to give it a good cleaning. Just flushing thinner thru it works between colors, but doesn't really clean it enough. Or you might try thinning your paint a bit more, or a little higher air psi. Usually when mine stutters, it just needs a good cleaning. It's over 20 years old and still works great. ;-)

8) jim

right on and sorry for the gif haha just trying to show the frustration, and as for the post location i apologize for my newbyness still trying to figure this forum out and locations of everything! is there anyway i can change the location of it now? love this forum though, a lot of useful info and great feed back, and its a an attached metal cup to the airbrush, and i have pulled apart the needle for thorough cleaning but felt it was worse after!

and just saw you moved it after i posted, thanks! appreciate the help haha

Last edited by a moderator:
right on and sorry for the gif haha just trying to show the frustration, and as for the post location i apologize for my newbyness still trying to figure this forum out and locations of everything! is there anyway i can change the location of it now? love this forum though, a lot of useful info and great feed back, and its a an attached metal cup to the airbrush, and i have pulled apart the needle for thorough cleaning but felt it was worse after!

and just saw you moved it after i posted, thanks! appreciate the help haha

The GIFs are fine. Nothing wrong with some humor injected into a thread IMO.

You're welcome.

The GIFs are fine. Nothing wrong with some humor injected into a thread IMO.

You're welcome.
I know there's nothing wrong with GIFs...and, I really like this particular one. I was just pointing out that 'whoever' created it took it from copyrighted material (law firms tend to copyright their slogans, etc), and that the Op might want to reconsider using that particular one. I don't know how Panda Law takes use of their material - they might not care at all, or they might take offense & litigate. I wouldn't want the Op to face the second option.

Getting back to the airbrush, if the needle is perfectly straight & sharp, my next suggestion would be to completely disassemble the airbrush, and soak all the metal parts in airbrush cleaner for 30 minutes. If there's anything inside, no matter how small, this should soften & dislodge it. Then, thoroughly rinse everything, let the parts dry, reassemble the airbrush, and try again. Also...I missed this earlier, so my apologies...15-20psi is way too low. A good starting point is 30psi. While some applications can be done with air pressures that low, other applications requiring up to 65psi (T-shirts would be a good example of this). After completely cleaning your airbrush, start at 30psi, see how things go, and then increase/decrease from there. Hope this helps.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

I know there's nothing wrong with GIFs...and, I really like this particular one. I was just pointing out that 'whoever' created it took it from copyrighted material (law firms tend to copyright their slogans, etc), and that the Op might want to reconsider using that particular one. I don't know how Panda Law takes use of their material - they might not care at all, or they might take offense & litigate. I wouldn't want the Op to face the second option.

Getting back to the airbrush, if the needle is perfectly straight & sharp, my next suggestion would be to completely disassemble the airbrush, and soak all the metal parts in airbrush cleaner for 30 minutes. If there's anything inside, no matter how small, this should soften & dislodge it. Then, thoroughly rinse everything, let the parts dry, reassemble the airbrush, and try again. Also...I missed this earlier, so my apologies...15-20psi is way too low. A good starting point is 30psi. While some applications can be done with air pressures that low, other applications requiring up to 65psi (T-shirts would be a good example of this). After completely cleaning your airbrush, start at 30psi, see how things go, and then increase/decrease from there. Hope this helps.

i'll try 30, just did a read at some point and said the lower helps with now blotches or bubbles in the paint, was almost pushin to much air rather then spraying paint and was making blotches

i'll try 30, just did a read at some point and said the lower helps with now blotches or bubbles in the paint, was almost pushin to much air rather then spraying paint and was making blotches

Are you using a single, or double action? Remember, it's not just about the air flow...it's also about the paint flow. If using single action, increase paint flow slightly, by turning the dial. If double action, the forget down you push the button, the greater the paint flow. For both types, pulling back increases the air flow. It's a fine balance (especially with dial actual action) between air flow & paint flow.

If you're new to airbrushing, I'd highly recommend watching some instructional videos on YouTube (someone that wasn't available when I first started learning). If I can learn to replace toilets, remodel a master bedroom closet, do plumbing, and refinish a bathroom vanity, all from watching YouTube videos, I know you can watch airbrushing videos & become 'advanced' before the end of the year.

right on, and this is my airbrush, i just got one with a 4oz cup from harbor freight, just waiting on the hose because it's bigger, and was only like 14$ just hopin for a big flow channel in hopes it won't clog as bad, so haven't used, but i have to of these.
ea757b4087b94cc6fa1cb7205450f27f.jpg

then the harbor freight
01436751af634630bab977c125087369.jpg

I've heard of, but am not familiar with, Master airbrushes (I've almost exclusively used Paasche, with some Badger & Iwata), but that looks like a double action. Typically, those new to airbrushing stay with a single action a then move up to double action (once they've mastered how to control air flow...tho, even experts use single action for things, such as airbrushing RC bodies).

The other one is for covering large areas, such as when painting houses, full size vehicles, etc. I'm not going to say you won't find much user for that with RC, but, unless you're planning on painting a body a single color, that one will be difficult to use. Even then, you'll need to learn extremely fine control if you don't want to "soak" the body in paint. Painting RC bodies requires fairly light layers to hold...especially when painting Lexan.

If you have anyone local who can teach you, great...if not, look to YouTube. Even though I started airbrushing over 30yrs ago, it was almost entirely T-shirts. When it comes to painting Lexan RC bodies, I do it...but, if still prefer to find someone more knowledge in this particular area. Of course, we can always compare our "master disasters"...lol

Back