• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Agent00111's 'Brainy' Wraith

agent00111

Pebble Pounder
(Disclaimer: nothing brainy about either me or my wraith. But my 4yr old gets to name the cars, so the Wraith is 'Brainy' and the Losi MTT is 'Nisco'. )

So, I started this wraith a few month's ago from a kit build, and knowing nothing about RC, decided to get the wraith kit so I could 'learn by building'. Did a stop motion video of it as well, just to dabble in animation: Axial Wraith Kit: 5 minute build! - YouTube

There's a lot of same-ol-same-ol which went into the initial build which is why I'm not starting the thread until now. It's back off of the bench again, with a few upgrades:

1. I smoked my Novak Ballistic 13.5T motor, so while that went back to Novak, I've switched the ESC to Tekin RS since the Novak Timbuk2 was limiting me to 2S lipo. I'll break down some of the differences I've seen between the Novak/Tekin later on down the road.

2. For this latest update, I've mounted my ESC high and between the two seats. Reason for this is that I wanted easy access for manually changing drag brake. And seeing flashing lights in a car is like watching Knight Rider. Phase 1 for this mod mounts the ESC to the tube which is right behind the seats. High enough to see lights and to manually reprogram. For phase 2 (work in progress) I'm going to cut out a better bracket to hold the ESC, and allow it to tilt forward on the tube axis, so that if I really want to keep a scale look, I can tilt the ESC down and hide it under a fakey cover. Or make the ESC look like a boom box. Or both.

2cd2e511.jpg

3. Another thing I did in this update was clean up my wiring and electronics box. Previously when I moved my battery under the hood, I moved my receiver to the back and stuck that in a Radio shack 4x2x1 project box along with the Axial NVS light controller. ESC was servo-taped to the front of that box, but kind of buried deep and hard to get to. So the two problems I had with this: a) with 5 light harnesses, servo cables, and 3 switches (ESC, BEC, lights) it quickly got cluttered and I had to pop open the e-box cover every time I needed to change a cable move something, and b) too many things were connected to each other, making it hard to remove any one particular thing (bec, or ESC, or e-box, etc).

So for this round, I ponied up to get a modest soldering station (Hakko 888) and started some wire clean up. First thing I did: for the Tekin ESC, I used the 4mm performance connectors for the leads between the ESC and the BL motor (redline 13.5T). I know that soldering them direct to each otherwould be less resistance, but I really wanted the flexibility of swapping motors out without having to resolder the connections.

67affd96.jpg

To keep things clean looking, I used all black wirings where I could, and where the wires where colored, they got a nice little coating of black liquid tape. For the motor wires, since those need to be connected in order, I used colored electrical tape and shrink tube to color code the wires. The Tekin 4mm connectors ended up being longer than I expected, and being a bit green at soldering I wicked too much solder into those wires when tinning and that made for some stiffness after the connectors. But, I got lucky on this one and that worked out just fine based on my wire routing. Everything to the motor is 12AWG. I think that might be overkill, so please comment on your opinion/recommendation between 12AWG (esp for phase wires) or if 14AWG would suffice.

While I have no plans of taking my wraith in the drink with a BL motor, the reality is that the neighbors have guns. Squirt guns. So I used liquid tape on the ESC posts, but only on the top where they are exposed, leaving the rest of the posts non-insulated for heat sink.

8959bdd5.jpg

I had a smaller BEC which came from the Novak Timbuk2 Wraith edition system, and I replaced that with Castle BEC pro. Yeah, I know, a bit overkill. But stick with me on this, it helps with the wiring clean up: I power both my steering servo and dig servo from the CC BEC pro, and only use the signal wire from the rx. Then I just power the rx from the ESC internal BEC. I *think* that should work, and it does, but let me know if anyone has had any problems with this layout. So that's 5 wire leads in/out of the e-box: three for ESC, and two signal wires. Note: to power the BEC I spliced off of the power leads to ESC, and used another Deans ultra connector so I can completely remove bec or ESC without having to remove the other.

My previous version of the electronics box was a real pain to work with. Lots of servo wires, light harnesses, and power and power switches going in/out of it. So this round, I rebuilt the electronics box and used deans 6-pin connectors to aggregate the wires. Now finished, I can hook up the electronics box with 3 6-pin connectors and one servo connector. A lot cleaner. The deans 6-pin connectors are keyed, so you can't put them in backwards. In hindsight, I also make a lot of custom length servo cables using the JR style connectors, and I should have used the Futaba keyed connectors instead. Here's what the e-box looks like disconnected:

4139e0fa.jpg

Here's what it looks like with the top off:
(after first two connectors built)
23f2c197.jpg

And here's what it looks like installed:

201e10e7.jpg

Previously I had the BEC, ESC and light switch servo-taped to the top of the e-box, and that just got a bit messy. So in this clean up round, I used the radio shack toggle switches, one for ESC, one for lights, and just leave the CC BEC Pro hard wired to power wires to ESC. I use JST pigtails so I can leave the toggle switches mounted but remove ESC or light controller if needed.

4fbad03d.jpg

a61b41d9.jpg

All in all, it's just a cleaner wire-up now. Lots of soldering of little wires, but when all was said and done everything works.

4. Upgraded wheels to SSZ stars, with Pitbull rock beasts. I want to keep my wraith at a good balance between rock crawler and rock racer. So I'll be putting VP knuckle weights in, but keeping the wheels nice and light. I wanted beadlock, but something with a better scale look. SSZ stars are an awesome look. The Pitbulls are very sticky. Not so scale but they've taken me through some tough spots that I couldn't get to with the R35 ripsaws. It's a beefy look, but it's a very wide tire on a very narrow wheel, so still have some work on tuning the foams up. Also replaced the stock shocks with Proline powerstroke shocks. Stock shocks I still like, they'll be rotating in and out with the prolines.

6a3c22ad.jpg

a0800eac.jpg

FYI, I'm using the HR dig, I sissy'd out and didn't get the VP dig (and added HR dig before Axial dig kit came out). That said, I kinda like the HR dig: it's affordable, it works, and haven't got it stuck in bind yet. A full size servo under the interior console does take up a lot of room, making it a bit harder to route wires. 4WS was tempting but I'm happy with the tight turning radius of the dig setup. Sorry, forgot to take pics of that install.

Very nice job on the electronics box! I only wish I could do such a neat job! That is my biggest fear...wiring!! I will try and get my hands on a 4x2x1 box one day. Not so easy to find in Canada...well cheaply that is. Shipping kills all the savings.

That is an awesome job! I have something similar in my radio shack elec box. Only thing I did diff was, I bought a spektrum 3500 and took the case off of it. It's real small, takes up lil room. A small double sticky tape to the side of the box.
I've also thought of a rs pro and selling the rx8 for a smaller footprint.

That is an awesome job! I have something similar in my radio shack elec box. Only thing I did diff was, I bought a spektrum 3500 and took the case off of it. It's real small, takes up lil room. A small double sticky tape to the side of the box.
I've also thought of a rs pro and selling the rx8 for a smaller footprint.

Oh man, that S3500 is TINY! Can you measure some dimensions for me with the case off? That might give me room to put EagleTree eLogger v4 in the e-box.

I have a 4x2x1 box setting on my workbench just waiting for something like this. Thanks for the Info.

Really cool build video by-the-way."thumbsup"

Oh man, that S3500 is TINY! Can you measure some dimensions for me with the case off? That might give me room to put EagleTree eLogger v4 in the e-box.

I'm running the MR3000 Marine Rx in mine. It's only 1.3" x .75" x .2" (case on). The SR3500 is 1.06" x .78" x .48" (Case on), Can't tell you what the dimensions are with case off, but that may give you an idea.

Well, I finally got the VP knuckle weights in, Woo hoo! It has an engraved brass knuckle logo on it. And I just got that. Brass Knuckle. Heh.

842f5005.jpg

The fit is everything you'd expect from Vanquish, so definitely worth the wait. I'm running XR10 knuckles which are reversed so the arms are facing forward, and the knuckles fit just fine. I really like this set up (XR10 arms forward), I can do wicked throw, but program the EPA's back to avoid rub with links. CKRC servo arm is a fatty so I had to switch out the servo mounting arms to move it back so it doesn't hit the chassis.

bca43dd8.jpg

I'm a metrics kinda guy, so I've added an EagleTree eLogger v4 unit to the wraith, so I can log motor temps, RPM, and battery volt/amp/mah numbers. I've got the power panel LCD display mounted on my electronics box in the rear (using bent lexan with servo tape) so I can keep an eye on temps and peak amp draw while out and about.

1e69c2bd.jpg

On the overkill list, I pulled out the castle bec pro, which was really overkill for my current needs. Replaced with castle bec which fits in the electronics box along with servo and axial NVS light controller. I'd like to add another temp sensor *inside* the e-box to monitor internal temps on extended rides.

I still love the Tekin RS Pro, but I think that's also on the overkill list, and in hindsight, I should have gone with HH BRXL or MMP.

On the 'something else list': I took some time off of the wraith to work on my Losi Micro crawler. At 10.4oz (fully loaded, with bb's in the wheels), all the sudden my wraith seems like a big clunky beast! Funny thing, is that I got a 1:10 scale wraith since I couldn't afford all the upgrades I wanted on my 1:1 Jeep Rubicon. And now that I'm messing around with 1:24 scale, I really like how it's much easier on the wallet for upgrades and mods!! Top end 100T hand wound micro motor: $30.

05b43f8d.jpg

Back