• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

A few questions about ESCs and Motors...

Chadworkz

Pebble Pounder
Ok, I am building a custom rock crawler from scratch (vertical plate chassis & 4-link suspension), but won't be competing in any sanctioned events, just crawling with friends. It is going to be about the size of an E-Maxx, just quite a bit longer, but using Maxx-Sized tires and an E-Maxx transmission. It is going to be a full-blown rock crawler, with as slow a speed as possible, and as much torque as possible. This is going to be a budget build, so I need some help choosing an ESC and a motor.

The ESC I would like to run is the LRP A.I. Quantum Runner Reverse. It is cheap, and I know LRP builds some great electronics (I run LRP QC3s in my other electrics). Is this a good ESC for this application? What other ESCs are good and in this price range?

There are a couple motors I am looking at, the first being the 60T Venom Fireball Rock Crawler Motor. Do you guys know anything about these motors, and if they are worth running? I like some of Venom's other electronics, such as their Micro FailSafe and Temp Gauge, but know nothing about their motors. The second motor is the 65T Integy Matrix Pro Lathe Motor. I don't really like anything Integy makes, but I have read about lots of people running these Integy Lathe motors, and really liking them. I wanted their 85T motor, but I read on here that they were junk, and didn't perform very well. The third motor is the 55T Novak Fifty-Five Crawler Motor. It is a bit higher in price, but looks like a great motor. I have always loved Novak's products, and if this motor is up to their usual standards, it should be incredible! The fourth motor is the 55T Reedy Flash Crawler Motor. It is a bit higher in price, but looks like an excellent motor. I have always loved Associated/Reedy's products, and if this motor is up to their normal standards, it should be great. The fifth motor is the 65T Trinity Epic Rock Crawler Motor. It is a bit higher in price, but looks like a great motor. I have always loved Trinity's products, and if this motor is up to their usual standards, it should be great. What do you guys think about these motors, and do you have any other suggestions? Remember, I want to gear it with as large a spur as I can get for the E-Maxx transmission, and as small a pinion as I can get (9t), for the slowest speed and most torque.

The reason I want to go budget with this thing is because I am giving it to my friend's son for his 11th birthday, and don't want to spend a fortune on it. The second crawler I build will be for me, and I will either be running a Novak brushless system, or a Novak GTX brushed ESC and motor.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide, as it will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
The ESC is decent, but they have known problems with throttle setup. It would work however. You may even try to hit up ebay and forums for used sidewinders or LRP stuff.

On the motor, any of those choices look good. I don't know of the quality of magnets on the epic motor, but the Venom and Integy have very cheap magnets. On a budget the Fireball looks best.

You will want to get an external BEC or RX pack to power the servos too.

The axiom is good too, it is an integy can with a bit of work done to it with hood alignment and stiffer brushes.

The BEC on an ESC is generally weak, so an external one is needed for steering duty. Our servos pull more average amp draw than the motors.

Back