• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

4s brushed motors?

Oh How Original

Rock Crawler
So feeling a bit of a noob, but I've got a BR-XL coming in a trade, never actually ran one before, but I see they are rated up to 6s, I've got a couple of small 4s drone packs and it would be nice to actually be able to use them, however I'm not familiar with a brushed motor rated to 4s... Also having never run one on 4s, what sort of turns should I be looking at, I do like a bit of wheelspeed, so thinking around 35t? I typically run a HH Crawlmaster Sport 13t on 3s, that's about perfect wheelspeed for my needs.

Wheel speed and whatnot all depends on more than motor turn so more information is needed.

I run 4s in basically everything, brushed included and is segment 35 turn, 5 segment 11 turn and a 3 segment 19 turn. These are 2 sporties a pro and a pro. The 11 turn is in a Capra based sporty so it needed some chooch.

I generally shoot for about 30k rpm on a brushed motor as a safe setup, choose your voltage and kv/turn count accordingly. Fully charged 4s is 16.8v, so that would pair well with 1800kv, or about 35t/3-slot,/540, 16t/5-slot/540, 21t/3-slot/550, 12t/5-slot/550, etc. I completely ignore the manufacturers b.s. voltage ratings and go by the above method and it's never steered me wrong. Just make damned sure you're geared low enough to keep your motor temps in check (140 degrees is a good safe bet for a brushed motor.)

I generally shoot for about 30k rpm on a brushed motor as a safe setup, choose your voltage and kv/turn count accordingly. Fully charged 4s is 16.8v, so that would pair well with 1800kv, or about 35t/3-slot,/540, 16t/5-slot/540, 21t/3-slot/550, 12t/5-slot/550, etc. I completely ignore the manufacturers b.s. voltage ratings and go by the above method and it's never steered me wrong. Just make damned sure you're geared low enough to keep your motor temps in check (140 degrees is a good safe bet for a brushed motor.)

Thanks man, that's exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for.
Current gearing is 80/11, which is about as low as I can go, I tried a Traxxas spur and a Kimbrough spur to switch to 32dp, but both were warped, I've never had good luck with 32dp/mod0.8 spurs being straight, which is kinda annoying.
Will perhaps give the HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 15t a try, that seems about right and it's available easily to me here in the UK.

Back