• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

1/6th Fast Lane H1

tcanin00

Quarry Creeper
I've wanted to build one of these for the longest time. Ironically, as a 91B Wheeled Mechanic in the National Guard I hated working on the real ones. "Military grade" anything means that it was made by the cheapest contractor.
I had started a build based on a Koyosho Inferno 1/8th scale on road car chassis a couple years ago. Link to the original build: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=19420&share_type=t&link_source=app
I was able to make it work, but wasn't really happy with it.
I shelfed it for a while until recently. I read 4Runner House's using a stretched Summit as base for the chassis. Link to his build: https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=19420&share_type=t&link_source=app
That seemed like the best way to get something that will work off road. The Summit has locking diffs and 2 speed transmission with a 775 brushed motor. I found a used slider on eBay for a reasonable price, bought a second main chassis tub, and started cutting. Not many pictures were taken during the process, but 4Runner House did a great job of showing the process and he listed the measurements. Also, RC Action converted a Summit into a crawler and they had a good write up on using Slayer suspension arms and drive shafts. They also changed out the springs for softer ones, which really brought the suspension to life. Link to article: https://www.rccaraction.com/project-traxxas-summit-lt/
Size comparison of the stock chassis to a 1/10th scale C2 truck. Note the "custom" battery attachment.
de24b51cc44fc21f10c001d419bd3aca.jpg

Same comp truck sitting on the roof rack. These H1's are big.
3e8648714deab52e62df5ede4ced5f6a.jpg

Mandatory flex shots. Has more travel than I thought it would. Might have to limit it.
fe9e93139dc8c0b1d41fa7d6f08fd739.jpg
69d07f1ef4a5846ac7add0fff2515173.jpg

cb52edbb2979d159861118152e113abe.jpg

Had to rebuild one of the diffs. The previous owner either hammered on it or was running a brushless system.
ff00d42cbb99a4b0b1e3fe704d51fa0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

Following. I picked up a 1/6th Fast Lane Tundra body but haven't received it yet. I'm wondering if this was around the same time those H1's were built because that's pretty huge lol.

Following. I picked up a 1/6th Fast Lane Tundra body but haven't received it yet. I'm wondering if this was around the same time those H1's were built because that's pretty huge lol.
Now that you mention it, I remember seeing those. I would like to know if it's the same size.

Now that you mention it, I remember seeing those. I would like to know if it's the same size.

I will let you know when I receive it. Interested in seeing more progress on this build anyway. I plan to just make mine a crawler still.

I will let you know when I receive it. Interested in seeing more progress on this build anyway. I plan to just make mine a crawler still.
Start a build thread when you get it. Are you going to run solid axles, or IFS and a solid rear?

Start a build thread when you get it. Are you going to run solid axles, or IFS and a solid rear?

Will definitely do that.

I will do solid axles. I was thinking of grabbing a TC8 Marksman ($285 at the moment) as I think those axles would be a safe good fit as the width is apparently 10 inches and then I can just do longer links in the rear and also slap the Gen 9 2spd in it.

Will definitely do that.

I will do solid axles. I was thinking of grabbing a TC8 Marksman ($285 at the moment) as I think those axles would be a safe good fit as the width is apparently 10 inches and then I can just do longer links in the rear and also slap the Gen 9 2spd in it.
I actually bought used TC8 Marksman to use for 1/6th New Bright Dodge Ram body.
I wonder if first gear in Gen 9 trans is lower than the TC8's? I don't think I can gear it much lower with a pinion and spur.

I actually bought used TC8 Marksman to use for 1/6th New Bright Dodge Ram body.
I wonder if first gear in Gen 9 trans is lower than the TC8's? I don't think I can gear it much lower with a pinion and spur.

it's pretty easy to mod a 3gear and use it instead of the stock transfer case that gives you 2.6 :1 reduction instead of the 2:1 or whatever also it wouldn't interfere with the gen9 2peed

it's pretty easy to mod a 3gear and use it instead of the stock transfer case that gives you 2.6 :1 reduction instead of the 2:1 or whatever also it wouldn't interfere with the gen9 2peed
Can't go wrong with a 3 gear. I'll look into when the time comes.

Well, here's some post surgery pictures of the stretched Summit chassis.
The left side showing the aluminum angle that I used to bolt it back together along with Shoe Glueing the seems. I guessed on the size of the angle and it fit in the original battery compartment.
a4ee99827ff0534f5780332d3d18e9b1.jpg

Top right hand side showing where I measured twice and cut one. By that I mean I had to cut another 1" or so off the original frame to get the measurements right. Nothing some glue and square words can't fix.
8975f7ff997930274e07e7aea55c6f77.jpg

Bottom view showing the cuts. The section missing from the center skid plate is the total stretch needed to get the wheel base right. I think it was 2.25" or so without measuring it.
a16078f152887efc3345ba65429189a5.jpg

Top view showing the electronics. Fairly simple considering it has two diff lock servos and a third servo for the two speed.
Side note, has anyone had a Holmes Torque Master stop working for no apparent reason? The LED's worked with radio input, but there was no tone through the motor during initialization and no motor operation. I tried a different ESC to test the motor, which was fine and a different radio to test the Holmes but it behaved the same.

9e317b19873031da135e8c10ae772934.jpg

Well, I was able to get together for a test drive in my rock garden/toy truck course. It lumbered around like the big, yellow struggle bus it is, just like the real thing. Lines that are easy for class 1 trucks were a challenge for this thing. I think the tires weren't doing it any favors, but it's not a comp truck. Overall, it looks the part and performed pretty much like I thought it would.
Enjoy some pictures.
7372350823915e306f64f4b7bf625e62.jpg

55dc345d60ca66f717573b8342ceb2e6.jpg

9ef02c961d0f8c267daa8ffbb688e008.jpg

19d278bf434285456ea2e046a3be2d4c.jpg

e2e3c917145d95b342127fc969bf69b5.jpg

34f1d22e5846f67eb6919cf690f25ab7.jpg

c9436ae2a749e24a744cbd8f9d972772.jpg

9f2858351903d33c3cfc786ec6f9f0e2.jpg

c77a2d9fcacd8d09e726d4d048bba72a.jpg

Dude that thing is badass!

So I received my Tundra but it was a quick inspection. Wheelbase is 14" and width is right at 10". It seems like it's a tad smaller than the H1 but they were probably the same RTR right?

Dude that thing is badass!

So I received my Tundra but it was a quick inspection. Wheelbase is 14" and width is right at 10". It seems like it's a tad smaller than the H1 but they were probably the same RTR right?
Thanks, Goro. It's not as bad as I make it out to be, considering what it is. I think it will be just fine as a trail runner.
That's cool that you have the Tundra now. It sounds like it's closer to 1/8th scale, so the Marksman should work for it without too much trouble.

Dude, woah, cool build. Im making the same using the 1/6 nylint scorpion body. However, i also own one of the yellow body H1's. Your wheels and tire combo intrigues me, please share some info. I'm using Associated Nomad db8 tires. Not installed yet

https://imgur.com/a/kV9snih

I think i have the same tundra

Last edited:
Dude, woah, cool build. Im making the same using the 1/6 nylint scorpion body. However, i also own one of the yellow body H1's. Your wheels and tire combo intrigues me, please share some info. I'm using Associated Nomad db8 tires. Not installed yet

https://imgur.com/a/kV9snih

I think i have the same tundra
Thanks, Gula. I don't remember what the Scorpion looks like. Are you using a Summit for the chassis, too?
The wheels are RC4WD 2.2" Humvee wheels and the tires are Duratrax Scalers with single stage C.I. foams for 8-10 lb trucks. I haven't weighed it yet, but I think it's over 8 lbs.
The tires worked better on a much lighter truck with softer foams. And fair warning, pretty much any RC4WD wheel is a b@stard to mount anything other than their brand tires.

I just clicked the link to your pictures, Gula. I remember the Scorpions now. That's pretty rad. And you are using a stretched Summit. I only have a few minutes of run time on mine, so I can't say too much about it other than the spur gear is out of round, making it sound like an actual GM 6.5 V-8 diesel Scumvee.

Yeah, but arent the wheels 12mm and traxxas slayer/maxx hexes 14mm or larger? How did you make that work?

Back